Inflation and Fireplaces!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
I am working on updated all the articles on our Main Info section....and the last one I worked on was an introduction to fireplaces:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/intro_fireplaces

The version that I worked on last night was the original one that I wrote in about 1996. One line read:

"many looking for homes costing over $100,000 see the fireplace as the most appealing amenity."

Uh......can't get much of a home anyone for about 100K, let along the luxury buyer looking for a fireplace! One builder I spoke to in CT a few years ago said they only start thinking about installing masonry fireplaces in houses above 750K.

Wow, it makes you look at inflation with a whole new meaning.

Given the continuing volatility in the economy with a strong downside bias in real estate prices and upside pressure on heating fuel prices I would think this may be set to change soon if not already. I also think it definitely depends on the area. Here in the Lakes Region/White Mountain Region of NH a large masonry fireplace is a high demand item in upper end lake houses and ski lodges with a couple gas fireplaces thrown in for accents.

Status
Not open for further replies.