info needed on pacific energy summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rg500930

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2007
northern ontario
i'm thinking of picking up a pacific energy summit.and i was wondering if it would be to big for my house.i'm going to install it in my rec room in the basement.my house is a brick bungalow.its 1200sf in the basement and 1200sf on the main floor.i live in canada and the avarage temp here during the winter is around 14f/-10c.right now i have a old insert were the heat and smoke go straight up the chimney.i cant wait to see the difference a newer insert is going to be like.
thanks for any info
steve

I'm sure fellow Canadian and Summit ownerGunner,, will be by shortly to discuss the PE summit. BTW nice choice quality manufacturer

I heat 1800sqft with a summit in southern Ontario. I don't think it will be to big for your 2400sqft...the key will be your floorplan as to how well the heat moves around. Sometimes heating from a basement works sometimes not.

I have the Vista insert from Pacific Energy which they claim heats about 1500 sq feet. They tell the truth. My main floor is about 1300 sq ft and it gets toasty warm after about an hour of burning. I find the Vista is a little small so you can't get an overnight burn so go with the next size up or even the largest one. I use my furnace fan to move the air around and then my upstairs gets to be a few degrees colder than the main floor. It means I don't have to use the furnace very much unless I go away for the weekend. Using the fuel calculator in this website I figure 1 cord of wood at $300 is equal to about $500 of oil at $0.79/litre (today's price). It will go up as winter comes.

thanks guys.i picked up a summit with gold trim and door for $1250 used (used 5 times) in ottawa.how much wood do you guys use a day or winter season?and when loading it how much wood do you put it for a overnight or long burn?i read some people say they get anywere from 6-10 hours of burn time.i know it all depends on your wood etc but what times are you guys getting?
thanks
steve(happy new summit owner)

rg500930 said:
thanks guys.i picked up a summit with gold trim and door for $1250 used (used 5 times) in ottawa.how much wood do you guys use a day or winter season?and when loading it how much wood do you put it for a overnight or long burn?i read some people say they get anywere from 6-10 hours of burn time.i know it all depends on your wood etc but what times are you guys getting?
thanks
steve(happy new summit owner)

If in good shape that a nice price. About 1/2 of new. Depends on how cold, where your at, how well the house is insulated etc as to how much you will burn a day.
I'll go through about a topped off wheelbarrow's or so amount a day in the colder weather. Also depends on the wood.
For overnight burns you want to put big stuff in there, especially rounds. get it charred good, cut the air back and sleep warm.
If you used good dry hardwood and fill it up packed, you'll get a good 8-10 hrs and a few more hours at lower temps.

Is this an insert, or freestander? If it an insert make sure you do a proper liner and block off plate.

1200 is a good score if used only a handful of times.
Keep you splits BIG for the long burns...and fill it to the top when it gets cold.
Burning good hardwood I have enough coals to relight a fresh load after 13-14hrs. 10 or so hrs of that is real good heat.

Enjoy.

the summit i bought is a insert.yes im going to install a new stainless chimney liner,25ft.what is a blockoff plate?and is there much of a difference using outside air.and any idea whats the smallest diameter hose i could use to pipe in the outside air for burning?when you say "fill it up packed" that means to fill it up so you cant fit anymore wood in?this year ill be burning mostly birch,elm and soft maple.dried for around 2 years.im not new to fireplaces but new to this technology.theres nothing like sitting around a fire on a cold day :)
thanks
steve.

Block off plate seals the area where you liner goes up threw you damper.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Why_damper_seal_is_needed/

Burning room air or outside air is an ongoing debate. You can go either way. Here is a link to the manual if you didn't get it with the stove. pg 8 for combustion air info. http://www.pacificenergy.net/PDF/manuals/SUMINSERTA%20260407-20(W).pdf

The 4" knockout may already be removed if the original owner was burning room air... it would have to be re-sealed to burn outside air.

Start slow until you get used to the unit, but yes when it's cold and I'm going for a long burn I fill it till no more wood will fit. Large pieces 6-8" only when filling the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.