Info on a stove I'm looking at

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AmberBarnes

Dec 18, 2019
Danielsville, PA
Currently I own an Earth Stove and am looking to replace it with a larger stove if i can. I found this stove for sale but can not find any information online. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? I appreciate it!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191218-044349_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191218-044349_Facebook.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Screenshot_20191218-044346_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191218-044346_Facebook.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Screenshot_20191218-044317_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191218-044317_Facebook.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot_20191218-044339_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191218-044339_Facebook.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_20191218-044333_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191218-044333_Facebook.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 165
I was curious about it so tried to google it. It appears to be made my preway do a search for preway mobile home fireplace stove. From the little reading I did they are now out of business, parts may be hard to find. I have no idea how well they work but I suspect it’s more of fire place to look at the fire then a good heater.

IMHO looks like a nightmare, definitely far better used stoves out there although tough time of the year to be looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
You already have a much better stove.
This is a freestanding fireplace.
Notice the fireplace grate that elevates logs. This allows more oxygen to the logs making them burn much faster. A grate is only used in a fireplace. You want a stove that burns on a brick bottom in ash to slow the burn so you have coals in the morning. A fireplace is hot while it burns, and this one tries to take advantage of blowing convection heat out with a blower. Not good when the power is down, not good for cooking or even heating water in an emergency.
Do you have a 6 or 8 inch chimney? Size the stove for the chimney and the area you are heating to avoid problems.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Thank you everyone for the direction and honest information! It looks like my Earth Stove will be staying. I saw this one at a very pretty price and couldn't figure out if it was because it lacked or because someone didnt know what they had.. I had that luck with the current stove ($75). Needed firebrick and some love, but nothing that couldn't be done. Just a shame it doesn't heat more square footage.

You already have a much better stove.
This is a freestanding fireplace.
Notice the fireplace grate that elevates logs. This allows more oxygen to the logs making them burn much faster. A grate is only used in a fireplace. You want a stove that burns on a brick bottom in ash to slow the burn so you have coals in the morning. A fireplace is hot while it burns, and this one tries to take advantage of blowing convection heat out with a blower. Not good when the power is down, not good for cooking or even heating water in an emergency.
Do you have a 6 or 8 inch chimney? Size the stove for the chimney and the area you are heating to avoid problems.
I currently have a 6" chimney, but would install an 8" if required by a new stove. I wasn't sure on the grates, my mother in law has a stove that uses grates that will keep you in shorts all winter!! Shes endearingly called the black dragon.. I'm considering a purchase of a blower for my stove, currently just a fan circulating the warm air helps push the heat to other rooms. Options... second year using a wood stove for heat, first to try to use it as my primary heat source. I do have a ton to learn and this forum has been my go to for all my research. Looking forward to learning and honing my skills!

Most newer stoves require 6. Any stove using 8 inch needs much more wasted heat up the chimney to keep it hot. In your search for a larger stove make sure it is a 6 inch outlet for your chimney. Match the stove to the chimney as well as the heating area you're heating for best results.

When cleaning out your stove, leave about an inch of ash. This prevents too much oxygen from getting to the fire, leaving you with charcoal and coals to restart the new fire.

One benefit of a deep narrow stove for primary heat is the ash burns down faster in the front at the intake area, leaving you with a pile of coals and charcoal in the rear. By removing some ash from the front each morning, you rake the coals, charcoal and a little ash ahead to build the new fire on. This eliminates the need to let it go out for ash removal.

You'll find it's easier moving cold air at floor level into the stove room, if you're not already doing that, not trying to push hot air out into heavier air.
Hot air is lighter and less dense than colder air. The cooler air near the floor will move the lighter air out of the way easier allowing the heated air at the top to move out of the room more efficiently.

Last edited: