Infrared thermometer Things I have learned playing with it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zipper1081

Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2009
Huntington,WV
I got one of thoes infrared theromometers a week ago so I have been playing with it. I have learned a lot. First of all I did not have my duct-work insulated coming off of my stove (US Stove 1537g) I. was loosing 30 degries in a 20 foot run in my basement. So I wraped them now I am not loosing anything. This may sound crazy but my burn times seems to be a little bit longer after doning this. Here are some temps I have taken. Do these sound OK Front of my stove is 610 two feet out the back of the stove & one foot below my manual damper 410 one foot above the damper 410 . 20 to 25 feet from the stove were my duct-work hooks into my main trunk line of the house the temp is 136. I really thought that the temp that I took above the damper would alot lower than the one below the damper.

The temp that I took above & below the damper is 410 I forgot to state that I have a small fan blowing on it.

Hi zipper1081,
Just wondering where you picked up your IR thermometer? I really need to get one. I read about them here in the forum but never seem to see one when I'm in a store. Your extended burn times sound right because you are putting the heat out to the area of your living space and whether it is thermostatically controlled or manual damper controlled you are probably staying comfortable with less energy.
As far as the damper temps and with the damper partially closed the temperature difference won't be that different unless there is a substantial air flow in the area of your chimney. The damper just slows the flow from the stove and unless there is something to cool the stack temperatures they should remain fairly consistent.

those temps sound fine to me. I also did that one time, borrowed a IR thermometer from a friend, and i got more or less the same as you. i also measured the temps comming out of the chimmeny ( 270-325 ) on the glass (600) and in the fire box was off the chart, the IR max's out at 800. Also i have an Opel 3 with is a zero clearance fireplace. not a stove. I'm glad to hear that are temps were pretty close. Just for shits and giggles what wood were burning?

I don't know if the instructions that came with your IR thermometers make it clear but at the same temperature, different surfaces will read different temperatures in an IR thermometer, especially different metals. If you want to take regular shots at the same spots to monitor your system, spray paint those spots with flat black paint and you'll get more accurate and consistent readings.

DaveBP said:
I don't know if the instructions that came with your IR thermometers make it clear but at the same temperature, different surfaces will read different temperatures in an IR thermometer, especially different metals. If you want to take regular shots at the same spots to monitor your system, spray paint those spots with flat black paint and you'll get more accurate and consistent readings.

I didn't know this, thanks for the heads up. But coinsidence, everything was flat black anyway...except the glass....haha.

I also discovered the issue with reflectivity on the pipes around my boiler. After some experimentation, I discovered that 3M blue painters masking tape worked pretty well - not too shiny, for getting IR readings. It also made it easy to remember where on the pipes I'm taking the readings, for real consistency. Electrical tape didn't work well at all - too shiny. I'm not quite ready to start spray painting stuff yet, so this worked as a decent interim approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.