Inherited a Dutchwest India Federal. I've got questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nettar

Dec 8, 2015
State College, PA
Our home came with a Consolidated Dutchwest (India) wood and coal stove with a catalytic combuster.

I do not burn coal in it but have some questions about how to handle it with wood.

I am currently firing the stove with all air intakes nearly full open. After the fire has gotten going I close the air intakes on the loading door and on the door that accesses the ash tray to a gap of about 1/4 to 3/8" to allow the stove to get to a good temperature. At that point I kick in the catalytic combuster.

The question is what do I do with the air intakes after the combuster is engaged?

For all stages I'm leaving the upper intake full open.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sounds like too much air for a wood fire. The under air (ashpan) should be closed and the door air almost closed once the fire is burning well. PDF instructions for operation of the Pre-1990 Dutchwest stoves is located here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/dutchwest-cdw-documents/

Status
Not open for further replies.