Initial Burn/Paint Cure PH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2015
Southwest Virginia
Just doing my first burn on a PH. Trying to cure the paint. Rear exit flue into fireplace so thermometer is on the top plate. The paint brochure says to do 400 degrees for 45 min and then 600 degrees for 60 minutes or so. I am a bit confused on how hot I need to have the thermometer read? Is it at these numbers or is it at 1/2 half these numbers because the firebox is considered twice as hot as the top of the stove reading?

For the first fire take it really slow, like a kindling fire to get the stove to 250ish over about 30-45 mins. This is to drive moisture out of the stove to prevent cracking. Then let her rip. You can go by the therm on the top plate, it should be close to the line nearest the front of the stove if that makes sense.

Hope you can open your windows, when i cured my PH it stunk to high heaven and set off all the smoke alarms to boot.

I like having an ir gun too. Never really liked those magnetic ones, though the one Woodstock provided has bern accurate thus far

Well, I did the burn, got it up to 600 for about 1 hour. wow, my house is sweltering...but it's about 61 degrees outside. Still stinks some, but I think i'll try another burn tomorrow to burn some more smell off. The paint company says it should only smell during the first burn.

I had charcoal and it didn't stink much which I was glad about, wonder if different paints stink differently...

Well, I did the burn, got it up to 600 for about 1 hour. wow, my house is sweltering...but it's about 61 degrees outside. Still stinks some, but I think i'll try another burn tomorrow to burn some more smell off. The paint company says it should only smell during the first burn.
I think only smelling during the first burn is being very optimistic. but then again, i guess it depends on the paint and whether the stove is new or just repainted. I having to go through the new stove break in process, i got the smell for about the first 5 burns as i gradually got hotter and hotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.