Input on Pellet Burner conversion of oil boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What do you think about Pellet burners for a converision from Oil

• This will work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This will never work.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoval

Oct 14, 2009
Upstate NY
Have any of you had any experience with a Pellet Burner conversion? I have a Hoval Multifuel Boiler that I purchased in 1979. I have burned oil in the spring, summer and fall then for the winter I burn chestnut or stove coal. I am look at a PellX or Janfire burner conversion. Both come with the augar for delivery of pellets from a storage bin. I do not have a local delivery for bulk pellets so I will be using bags. I am planning on building a storage unit for about 1,000 to 1,500 pounds of pellets. I have a couple of issues that I am working through. I am waiting for the units to run on 120 V at 60 hz this should be done in the next 4-6 weeks. Most of the units are 230 V 50 hz. I need to increase the port size that the burner goes through into the boiler. My Oil burner is a 4" unit and I need at least 6.25 inches to put the new burner in. Does any one have information or experience with this type of converision?

Here is a picture of a Janfire burner. This end would go into the boiler. It can be done, but would work better with a boiler that is certified to use this burner. The opening required is rectangular and is fairly large.

DSC00465.jpg

This unit looks brand new are you a dealer? Can you supply on tof these units? At what cost? I am also looking at the PellX that is coming to America in the next couple of week in the 120 V 60 Hz style. That unit should be less than $2600. and be self cleaning (the Burner). Accorning to Janfire my fire box will be large enough and as I burn coal, wood, oil, natural gas or LP gas I really want to get into the pellet as well. Talk soon.

The boiler your converting was never designed for the frequent cleaning that will be required.

The Hoval ZK 55/50 was made to be cleaned as it has three doors for access, one large door to the Oil burner side plus the top and bottom doors on the coal/wood side as well as a back plate for removal of ash prior to the flue. I know that it is not perfect as I have 3 nuts on the 2' X 3’ door that swings off to the side to gain access to the firebox and heat exchanger. With the burner in place I will need to undo and replace the feed tube as well. I also thought of placing a permanent T pipe, with ½” holes on the bottom side and seal the top of the T ends with pipe caps, on the floor of the firebox with an air tight plate on the outside of the firebox door. My plan is to stop the fire for a ½ hour, then open the plate, slide a vacuum cleaner hose into the lower part of the T and pull the T pipe back and forth a couple of times on the 15” X 2’ flat floor of the fire box to remove the ash. This would take care of minor cleaning say weekly and then a couple of time a year I would open the firebox to clean the heat exchanger and the rest of the fire box. I also have about 4” of the 15” X 2’ floor for ash built up.
Any thoughts?

What's really interesting to me is that I'd tried to get my hands on either a Janfire or Pellx back in the 01/02 era (contacted the OEMS themselves) with no luck; Glad that they are finally trying to/ willing to consider selling to and in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.