Insert: Cast Iron or Steel Plate Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsh

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2008
OH
For my first posting after nearly 12 months of absorbing, I first want to thank you all for your insightful postings. Some true "seasoned veterans".
I have been dragging my feet on getting an insert. Have 3+ cords of split/stacked hardwood and a itchy check book. Just got back theis weekend with reviewing
a variety of different inserts (Buck, Jotul, Vermont Castings, Quadra-Fire). Still need to see Hearthstone Clydesdale especially with the improvements in 2009. I have been back and forth on the cast iron vs steel plate construction. Believe I am sold on the looks of the cast iron but can be swayed easily. With regards to finish, does anyone have any words of wisdom on the finish available on cast iron inserts?

For inserts, most "cast iron" ones are actually steel boxes with a cast iron front. Jotul, Quad, PE, Lopi/Avalon, Regency(Hampton) all make some nice units. If you get the Clydesdale or a Jotul, go for the blue-black enamel. It is tough and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.