Insert for son

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigoakhunter

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Mid-Michigan
First love all the info on this site...Now, know nothing about inserts. Son and wife bought a house with fireplace. Opening size- 35 1/8 front , 27 1/4 rear, 26 3/8 height , 22 " deep. Needs to be a Chevy to Buick model, not a Cadillac, if you catch my meaning. We are located in Michigan and get harsh winters. It is in a two story home on main floor , about 1500 sq ft. on 1st floor, basement mostly storage. He would like to supplement or provide a lot of the hear from this unit. Any help will be appreciated. All my fatherly wisdom is from wood stoves or wood furnaces.

Get the Harman 52i if you want no B.S.
They are looking for a wood stove not a pellet stove. And harman makes fantastic pellet stoves but pretty bad wood stoves

First love all the info on this site...Now, know nothing about inserts. Son and wife bought a house with fireplace. Opening size- 35 1/8 front , 27 1/4 rear, 26 3/8 height , 22 " deep. Needs to be a Chevy to Buick model, not a Cadillac, if you catch my meaning. We are located in Michigan and get harsh winters. It is in a two story home on main floor , about 1500 sq ft. on 1st floor, basement mostly storage. He would like to supplement or provide a lot of the hear from this unit. Any help will be appreciated. All my fatherly wisdom is from wood stoves or wood furnaces.
Check out the following site for a few insert ideas. I suspect that it is SBI's retail web outlet. I got one from here last year for a great price- it was the "best deal of the month"- delivered to the front door for free. It was a kit that included the stove, stainless chimney liner, appliance connector, chimney top connection, and chimney cap. We love the whole setup, got good service, fantastic price. I'd say the inserts fit the bill for someone looking for a chevy or buick model.

https://www.myfireplaceproducts.com/Catalog.aspx?Type=Stoves&SubType=STOVE&Cat=EBOIS&Lang=EN

Sounds like you may need a large insert in the 2.5 to 3 cu ft range. How many square feet total not including the basement? Is the fireplace room open to other areas of the house with large openings or somewhat closed off?

Take a look at large inserts by Regency, Osburn, Buck and Pacific Energy.

Sounds like you may need a large insert in the 2.5 to 3 cu ft range. How many square feet total not including the basement? Is the fireplace room open to other areas of the house with large openings or somewhat closed off?

Take a look at large inserts by Regency, Osburn, Buck and Pacific Energy.
PRobably 1500 sq foot main level and fireplace is in family room which connects to main hallway. Thanks every body for input it is helpful.

Don't discount putting a freestanding stove in there without a surround. Might open up your options a bit.

I love my Quadra-Fire. With a fireplace that size, you can easily fit their biggest insert (the 5100i.) Though, $3,500 is more than my old Ford is worth, not sure where that fits the Buick to Cadillac scale.

Following along the lines of ED 3000, if you have a Menards close enough, you can pick up either SBI's Drolet or Century line inserts. If they can wait for one of their 11% rebate weeks, they can fund another smaller home project with the insert and a liner kit from there.

If either of those are in their price point and they like the looks (this could go for any other insert), check out the manuals to make sure all the clearances check out. You'll need to check mantle and side walls as well and any combustible trim surrounding the fireplace.

Would also recommend having a certified sweep inspect the fireplace and chimney. The home inspector may have looked at it, but they aren't looking at it in detail. Even if they plan to this DIY, they'll at least find out what all needs to be done to install it safely.

PRobably 1500 sq foot main level and fireplace is in family room which connects to main hallway. Thanks every body for input it is helpful.
How many sq ft total including upstairs? How large is the opening to the stairway?

Status
Not open for further replies.