Insert Help Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runnerxc

Hearth Supporter
Mar 15, 2008
NE OH
Hi all, First time post.
My wife and I bought a house 2 years ago and it has an insert in the fireplace. We really enjoyed it and used it quite a bit. It is really old and after loading it up at night, it's ice cold in the morning. Well, after visiting my brother-in-laws and seeing his regency h2100, I quickly realized how inefficient it is, so we are looking at purchasing a new one.
I have narrowed down our choices to a couple different ones, including the regency my b-in-law had. We visited the stores around here and have gotten some pricing. My question arises from where is a good place to find out how much we should pay for one of these?? A lot of the reviews I've read of people who have bought it say they got it anywhere from 1500-2000...the local shop wants 2400 not including tax/install.
How have you shopped for yours? What strategies do you use to get the right price? Are there any other options for buying other then the local shop? I haven't been able to find any suppliers online.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello Runner

I just purchased a Regency Insert 2400 Medium

I paid 2300 ; installation was 1200 but included a $700 30 foot liner

Tom

I am not an expert like most on this site but I have noticed that the price of some of these inserts are quoted without some vital parts. Make sure when you get a quote, it is for the complete unit. I have also found the prices on the regency products here have varied $1000. Get several quotes; it may be worth the drive.

Could you post some details about the house size and room size? What are the quotes for what inserts?

BeGreen said:
Could you post some details about the house size and room size? What are the quotes for what inserts?

Thanks for the replies:
Our house is only 1200 sq ft, not too big. Windows and insulation are decent, but definitely not great. The main room the insert is in is the biggest room in the house, about 350 sq ft or so.
I've been to 3 local stove stores so far. I've received many quotes but the number of stoves I've viewed in the showrooms are minimal. Stores in my area don't seem to keep too many in stock, on the floor. I don't know if that's common or not. I've gotten quite a few quotes and narrowed them down. The stoves I've liked the best so far Regency H2100 $2300, Regency I2400 $2400, and Vermont Castings Winter Warm Large $3200 (although after seeing consumer reviews on this I've pretty much ruled it out).

Like I said, my knowledge of different brands is pretty minimal. Regency seems like a solid stove with a good rating which is why we are kind of leaning that way. I was just looking for strategies of finding the best price and also suggestions for other stoves that may fit our needs.

Yes, inserts take a lot of floor space and often there will not be many on display in the store. The Regency is a good insert. Do you need to dealer to do the entire installation? If so, getting a good installer and dealer support will be important. Get references and a detailed installation breakdown from the final candidates.

You'll be limited to inserts that actually fit in the fireplace. Do you have the dimensions of the fireplace?

A couple other nice looking inserts to consider might be the Jotul C450 and the Hampton HI300. The Hampton is a Regency in tux and white tie. The Regency is a good unit too if you like it better. Other good mid-sized steel front inserts to consider are the Quadrafire 2700i, Napoleon 1101.

I do not have a great deal of experience but from I have seen the Regency products are quite good. I narrowed my choices down to 2 after looking at dozens of inserts. The Regency and the Pacific Energy. I chose the Pacific Energy because of the larger/variable speed blower, the blower is positioned in the side of the stove to promote some radiant heating and some natural air flow. It is one of the few inserts you do not need to run the blower. It definitely is not as good looking as the Regency but on paper it should out perform it. In this market, the price was several hundred dollars less as well. Take a look at their web site; there is quite alot of info there. All that said, keep in mind you and all in your house hold will have to live with this for years, buy the one you are fond of. You will not be disappointed with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.