insert in 2 sided fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
Okay, most of you remember me as the one with the split level deciding where to put a stove/insert. Those of you who saw the pics responded with the lower level den. However, the plot thickens. As you notice below, that fireplace is 2 sided. Will an insert work? ( Read work as in "look right/appealing to the Mrs") The only stove that will fit in there is the Jotul Nordic. The den is only 9 x 15, the living room right upstairs is 16 x 17 with a 14 ft vaulted celing, and the bedrooms up on the 3rd level add up to about 400 sq ft. Total sq ft among the immediate 3 levels is roughly 800 sq ft - leaving the kitchen, dining room and 4 season sunroom out of range for the heat - which I think/hope will be ok - sunroom has it's own heat anyway, the kitchen is a galley so it can heat up while cooking, but alas the dining room might be chilly. Anyway, your input is appreciated!

thanks!

Attachments

• P1010055.JPG
    P1010055.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 494
Wow, that thing must have a huge flue. I would think that you would want to block of the side that the photo is taken from. It woulndt look to good hanging out there. If you wanted to spend some bucks, you could buy a glass door from portland willamete or the sorts, have the glass tinted, and installed in that custom arch. It would be a custom door, they would send you a template and you would trace off what your wanting. Your looking at least $1000 for that. Another option would be to just fill it in with more brick and make it one sided. If you got creative, it could look cool. Other then that... dont know what to tell you.

it's just a 8 x 13 flue, it's smaller than it looks, which is why if a stove is in order, JOtul f100 nordic is all that will fit

Were it me, I would take the rear heat shield off the back of an F100 and put that little dude right in the downstairs fireplace. With a proper liner and lower block-off plate. Let the radiant heat do the job for the room in front of it and the heat from the back go right up those stairs from that opening in the side.

But that just be me.

Doesn't look like the flue is too big because there appears to be a lot of smoke spillage.

IMHO, I don't think it would look too bad just to see the insert stuck in there. After all, it is just a black box...not like it is going to look like a pile of trash from the side. May actually make flue connections and such a bit easier.

If you really don't like it there are all sorts of things you can do to hide it, ranging from cheap and easy to expensive.

You could put some type of non-flammable decoration (iron /steel) in front of the hole. I'm thinking of the iron or steel silhouette birds, flowers, animals, etc that you see in various stores and flea markets. Maybe scout the local hardware store for some metal mesh screen. (the kind that is a couple steps up from window screen that actually has small geometric shapes punched in it) Cut that for a slight friction fit, paint, and insert. I’m sure there are tons of other ways to decorate it. Basically anything nonflammable that strikes your fancy would work.

Corey

For somereason i read that you were putting a kennebec in there. I think i a stove wold look just fine.

If a Jotul Nordic will fit then about 15 others will also. You have a lot of options not to mention the best access for installing a liner EVER.

Regency makes an awsome insert, so does (IMOHO) Osburn. What are the dimensions of the main fire place....We'll help you spend your money!!!

The key for him using a stove instead of an insert would be the radiant heat out of the opening in the side of that thing. The shroud on an insert would direct more of the heat out into the room in front. And that is not a big room to heat.

dimensions are 28" wide with an arch top measuring 23" at the low point to 28" at the center....as far as stoves go, I've looked at Lopi, Quadrafire, & Jotul and seems like only the F100 Nordic will fit.

I'm liking Brother Bart's idea of taking the heat shield off the Nordic.... Does the 16" log length mess you up much?

philaphire said:
dimensions are 28" wide with an arch top measuring 23" at the low point to 28" at the center....as far as stoves go, I've looked at Lopi, Quadrafire, & Jotul and seems like only the F100 Nordic will fit.

I'm liking Brother Bart's idea of taking the heat shield off the Nordic.... Does the 16" log length mess you up much?

It is a bit of a pain. I cut twenty to twenty-four inch lengths because that is what the main stove likes to eat. I just lop the ends off of enough for the Nordic. The end pieces I use for packing either firebox as needed.

Of course in that scenario, any stove out there these days would be a pain. That is what I am going to miss when the Sierra is retired.

I would leave it open and use a stove also. Isn't that side opening right by the stairwell? If so easy way for heat to move into rest of house.

yup, you can see the stair railing at the edge of the pic - almost like it was made for it!

philaphire said:
yup, you can see the stair railing at the edge of the pic - almost like it was made for it!

If you want to go with the F3CB for more heat and a little longer burns there is a short leg kit for it that should let it fit in there too. Costs around sixty bucks more and lowers the stove a couple of inches.

philaphire said:

That will be nice and cozy once that brick gets up to temp!

On your burn habits will anyone be there during the day?

philaphire said:

I think almost ANY insert would fit. I wouldn't put a stove in there. An insert is the way to go as far as asthetics and fuction goes.

actually the f3cb won't fit even with the shorter legs - the arch of the fireplace and the width of the F3 being the culprits

Vintage 181 said:
philaphire said:

That will be nice and cozy once that brick gets up to temp!

On your burn habits will anyone be there during the day?

Yes, I work from home whenever I can and wife and 2 yr old will generally be home as well

philaphire said:
actually the f3cb won't fit even with the shorter legs - the arch of the fireplace and the width of the F3 being the culprits

"The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously."

- Winston Churchill

Warren said:
philaphire said:

I think almost ANY insert would fit. I wouldn't put a stove in there. An insert is the way to go as far as asthetics and fuction goes.

Inserts will fit - the question is utilizing that side opening to maximize heat up the stairs - the actual room the unit would be in is only 135 sq ft (although it does open up into a laundry area and playroom/guestroom adding another 200+ sq ft)

Might be worth taking a look at the Hearthstones,,,forgot what sqf you are looking at..possible candidates maybe heritage, phoenix or homestead..

Homestead has hearth mount and available 4 inch legs..

Phillyfire,

You may also want to check out the smaller woodstock stoves..Keystone etc...That is a catalytic stove. Think the others you were looking at are non cats..

VC Resolute Acclaim 40,000 btus with short leg kit

22.5" height 26" wide and 19" deep

I believe that fits Many here can Comment on the resolute I owned one up to a month ago
burned it 3 years IOt delivered what I expected Another forum member has it now burning like it should
What did I replace it with another VC Cat Encore. Also the VC Intrepid will fit

My advice is to forego a wood stove. The main area's you want to heat aren't where the stove will be, and that's a problem. A stove produces radiant heat which is a form of light, can only be used around the stove and can't be directed upstairs, or around corners, moved with fans, things like that. An insert and "convection wood stoves" have an outer shell, the amount of radiant energy that penetrates the outer shell is significantly diminished, while the production of heated air is proportionately increased. This makes it easier to move the heat out of the room and into the rest of the house, by circulating the heated air. For this reason, convection stoves/inserts are the best choice when you're trying to heat areas where the radiant energy can't travel, like other rooms or stories in the house. I'd skip the idea of the wood stove, unless it a convection wood stove (have you looked at the Lopi Answer?) or stick with inserts.

would the space between radiant back of stove and masonry fireplace create convection leading warm air out the side & up?

Lopi answer stove won't fit

Status
Not open for further replies.