Insert in a new build?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredrakes

Oct 18, 2007
Phila Suburbs
Hi all,

After a long time lurking for tips on using/fueling my Jotul 118 (old original) woodstove, I've finally registered to post my first question:

We're building an addition onto our house, and I'm replacing my old woodstove with a new fireplace. The chimney is an important architectural feature of the house (and yes, it's on an inside wall) so I'm thinking of filling the fireplace with an insert--and thinking of a Jotul Kennebec (350 or 450, haven't decided).

My question--is it nuts to specify a insert (which I see as a sort of retrofit solution) in a new build? I like the nearly flush fitment of an insert, and its blower/woodstove behavior. But I don't want a stove sticking out from my hearth. Yet it seems odd to plan for an insert from a blank slate.

Any suggestions on models, integration tips, or better ideas than an insert greatly appreciated. This'll be mostly used for occasional weekend heat in a house with forced air furnace and a propane ventless log in the downstairs den. While we don't, you know, "need" the insert for heat, I'd like a real wood fire that can put out some serious BTUs when we're using it.

Thanks!

This old chimney you speak of.... is there an old masonry fireplace attached to it? How does the stove vent into it? What else would you do besides an insert or a stove into an old chimney? Basically... I'm confused.

Sorry. New Chimney and hearth are part of new buildout. Right now, total free reign to specify size of FP, hearth, chimney specs, etc. Just seems weird to start from square one and plan for an insert into a FP-styled hearth.

I would second JTP's recomendation - Rather than building a masonry fireplace just to put an insert in, I'd go with an EPA listed ZC pre-fab fireplace box. The other option that I think is worth considering whenever doing new construction might be to go with a masonry heater. Either would likely be less than building a masonry fireplace AND putting an insert in it. Another option might be to build just a hearth with the intent of putting a free standing stove on it. This is what the people that built our house did, and it is pretty cool except that the upstairs hearth has a low enough vent connection to make it difficult to find a stove that fits - has to be rear vent and not to tall...

Gooserider

I'll third what Goose said. Look into the Quad, Fireplace Extrodinare, or other epa fireplace. They have options to become whole house heaters with proper duct work too.
If your building a masonry fireplace, why not look into a masonry heater such as a Tulikivi or TempCast?

I guess I could see building the fireplace, then using the insert under the condition that you expect you might move relatively soon. You could have your wood burning while you're there, but take the insert when you move. But leave the house 'value' with the architectural masonry fireplace. Or I guess if you have a specific insert in mind and just 'like' the look. But if you plan to stay in the house for years, a full masonry chimney/fireplace with insert is probably one of the more expensive options. Strictly on a house value scale, I suspect a well built pre-fab fireplace would be your best 'bang for the buck' on the resale side. As 99% of the public is probably just looking for something that makes flames from time to time. But, again, if youre not looking for resale, it may not mean much.

Personally, I think the FPX units are pretty good looking - don't know how they burn, and as with most any insert, if you loose power, you loose a lot of heat because the blowers can't run. So if you ever feel the need to rely on the wood heat for an emergency, you'd need to prepare to cuddle pretty close to it, or make arrangements to provide axillary power.

Corey

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I hoped someone would know about. Insert definitely seems needlessly complex for my application now that I know about these options.

Status
Not open for further replies.