insert in factory built or

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

libirm

Hearth Supporter
Jun 1, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have a Heatilator 3600; I want to convert to stove. I have been told I could use a insert but I wonder should I rip out Fireplace and use a free standing instead?
Thanks for your comments in advance.

You can do either, that's up to you. If you do rip it out the whole chimney system would likely have to go as well. Taking it out and doing a stove which be at least double the expense.

If you use an insert, it is likely to have to be rather small - and you must make certain to have it done correctly, preferably by a pro.

If you are going to rip it out, you have two choices - replace it with a built in high efficiency model or run just a HT (metal) chimney and then install a free standing stove. Really rough pricing:
3K insert and lining
6K replace fireplace with built in or free stander.

Thanks~
I am looking at the lennox country Performer c210 and the best quote I got so far is $2425.00 with out the liner.
I was wondering if the liner is necessary with the double wall chimney I have now, any thoughts?

Almost surely needed.........

Even in the very rare cases where not technically needed (very new fireplaces with chimneys tested to the current standards), it is still a better way to do it - and the safest. In general, the chimney used for prefab fireplaces has not been built to the same standards as generic piping.

When I owned a stove shop, we would not install in a prefab without lining it.

I was in the same situation last year and I chose to add a Kodiak 1700 insert with a 30' stainless steel 6"flex liner. My house is only 8 years old with a zero clearance fireplace and double lined pre fab chimney which robbed the house of heat when used. I had a hard time finding large inserts that advertise safe for non-masonry chimnies. Most will say for masonry chimnies but when you read the manuals, they tell you how to install in a non-masonry chimney. I had a chimney sweep drop down the insert and use the cap ring from the insert to hold and mount the liner to the larger cap that is topping the prefab at the top. I then ripped out all the ugly green ceramic tiles surrounding the fireplace and put in thick cement board and natural slate which looks much better and protects the walls better too. I made a hearth 30" x 8' using the same materials and exceeded the Canadian minimum clearances just to be safe. I also made a block-off plate to keep the heat in the box and not up the chimney. It'll heat my 1200sqft first floor to 80 and 1200sqft upstairs hovers in the low 60's due to cathedral ceilings.

Thanks Everyone~
Now for another question~
I will be going with the Lennox Country Collection Performer C210~ recommended for my factory built.

I know I will need to line my existing chimney with 6inch stainless stell. However my stove pipe has tow 45* bends in order for it to go out the chase through the roof.

Will the 6 in SS pipe bend to make those 45's a?
Also how do I connect the pipe to the stove onces it is set into the fireplace? There will be little or no room to get my hand in there,

Status
Not open for further replies.