Insert in raised existing wood fireplace advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FMFDoc

Nov 3, 2015
PA
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster (thanks for the wealth of info I've garnered from this site)..

Recently moved into a new house with two fireplaces, one in the basement the other on the main floor. Basement fireplace is used often as that's where I spent my time. The main floor fireplace, IMHO, is more decorative than functional and I would like to make the main floor fireplace functional by installing an insert. It will make a tremendous difference in heating costs as the main bedroom is an open loft pn the floor above the main fireplace. Previous home had a Jotul 550 which served me very well so I was leaning towards that, but I'm open to whichever insert will fit my situation.

So, armed with pics and measurements, I went to the local fireplace dealer/installer and asked for their recommendation. Their answer was a flat "We can't help you," with no explanation. Even after inquiring as to why not, I got the same answer.

My question is whether installing an insert is possible or should I not bother wasting my time?

The fireplace is double sided with a measurement of 33" between the front/back openings. Height and width are 24" (H) and 33" (W), and the fireplace is 28" off the floor.

I realize two sided fireplace inserts are very uncommon, so i would like to go with an insert on one side and a screen on the other side. Is the height off the floor going to be an issue that would preclude a heavy insert from being installed? Is an insert possible or am I hunting for a unicorn?

Below are pics of the functional basement fireplace, the main floor fireplace and the chimney in hopes that it helps you. Above all, thanks in advance!

Basement fireplace:

20151103_150537.jpg

Main floor fireplace pics:
20151103_150247.jpg

20151103_150420.jpg

20151103_150252.jpg
20151103_150359.jpg

20151103_150316.jpg

Chimney

20151103_150616.jpg

THANKS in advance!

I don't see any reason you can't use an insert as long as your expectations are realistic. One side would have to be closed in whatever decorative style you choose. From the picture you have very decorative clay tile chimney vents which might have to be sacrificed as well. Maybe the dealer thought you wanted a double sided insert?

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps you are correct about the dealer, but I was pretty explicit about a one sided fireplace. Lastly, their reluctance to even give a simple explanation as to why they couldn't help me was rather puzzling (and rude). I will seek another dealer in the area.

Sounds doable as long as there's room.

My advice would be get a sweep/installer out to access the situation. In my experience many dealers are not expert installers anyway and rush the install. Do your research and select an insert you like. Then buy it from whoever gives you the best price. Then have the installer put it in.

What is the height of the lintel in the fireplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.