Insert install - need 3" of offset

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth22

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2009
Southern Maine
I'm replacing the free standing cast iron stove in my fireplace (not much useful heat) with the Regency I2100 that I purchased 2nd hand ($250).

- The Regency "chimney hole" (?) is 8" back, while my flexible liner is about 11" back.
- Due to removing reducers and such, the liner is also 11" higher than the top of the Regency.

I have extra liner, so getting DOWN there won't be a problem. My question is, to make up the 3" (run) front to back offset in the 11" (rise) top to bottom space I have:
(1) Should I just try to muscle my liner into it?
(2) Use two elbows?
(3) Buy an offset box? (My stove came with what looks like a non-adjustable 6" offset box, too much for my install)

15 or 30 degree stainless steel elbows work well for that kind of transition depending on the angle needed. That is what I did with my stove.

Attachments

• elbow.jpg
    elbow.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 599
I think I might be able to get away with a 15 degree angle. I'm not sure if my math is correct, but this is what I did to calculate the angle in degrees:

(1) 11" rise ÷ 3" run = 3.6666 grade/slope (or 366% slope, 100% slope is 45 degree angle)
(2) arctan(3.6666) = 74 degrees (thanks to: http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/math/Arctan_Calculator.htm)
(3) 90 degrees - 74 degrees = 16 degrees.

So I need to make up 16 degrees. Granted the lower rise created by the elbow will probably increase my degree needed.

I thought this might help someone down the road (assuming it's correct).

Measure twice. Cut once. Hammer to fit. ;-)

I believe Lowes and Home Depot only have galvanized, no stainless. Where do y'all generally get your stainless elbows?

Hart's Hearth. Great folks to do business with.

It was on my porch in two days.

Seth22 said:
I believe Lowes and Home Depot only have galvanized, no stainless. Where do y'all generally get your stainless elbows?

Google Heat Fab & find a dealer near you.

Well silly me... the offset box that my used stove came with IS a 3" offset. Anyone have any thoughts out these?

offsetbox.jpg

It connects by way of a j-hook which pulls upon a cross beam in the offset with a second bar across the top of the inside of the stove. Turning a nut gives it tension (insert joke here?). This is a top view of the offset box.

offsetboxinside.jpg

If I were the exhaust, I'd rather draft up through Bart's type of setup there than have to go through the offset box. But I guess those must work too!

offset boxes work well- I would agree that elbows are better for such a small offset- offset's are usually better when it's 10-12 inches

Do not try to muscle the liner into place. After you've fought with it for a couple of hours and you go to plan B you'll feel like an idiot for spending so much time fighting the liner. DAMHIKT. I didn't have room for an elbow, so I used an offset box. Easy, fast and works great.

When you go to clean the liner you are gonna hate that box. With an elbow you just pull a brush down and right into the firebox. Not to mention the less than aerodynamic kink it injects into the airflow up the chimney.

Give it a try if ya wanna. I wouldn't have one on a bet.

plus generally they have an easy clean out in the front..

TheHeatElement said:
plus generally they have an easy clean out in the front..

Also known as an air leak in the front. And you have to pull the surround to get to it.

BrotherBart said:
When you go to clean the liner you are gonna hate that box. With an elbow you just pull a brush down and right into the firebox. Not to mention the less than aerodynamic kink it injects into the airflow up the chimney.

True. I did think about the clean-out factor... then I forgot about it and posted out the box.

Maybe I'll just put in the offset box and burn wet wood, so the water will clean out the liner..... What? Did I say something wrong?

Seth22 said:
BrotherBart said:

True. I did think about the clean-out factor... then I forgot about it and posted out the box.

Maybe I'll just put in the offset box and burn wet wood, so the water will clean out the liner..... What? Did I say something wrong?

Do what ya gotta do. :lol: You ask, we answer. With opinions.

I just hate to see people miss cleaning considerations when putting in a new stove. A bunch of times a year folks come here with "I installed the EPAmongus 2400 last season and it really heated my house well. Now I need to clean the chimney but..."

BrotherBart said:
Seth22 said:
BrotherBart said:

Do what ya gotta do. :lol: You ask, we answer. With opinions.

I just hate to see people miss cleaning considerations when putting in a new stove. A bunch of times a year folks come here with "I installed the EPAmongus 2400 last season and it really heated my house well. Now I need to clean the chimney but..."

Not sure if my reply came out sounding weird. When I said "forgot" I meant it literally, not "disregarded". I'm probably gonna skip on the offset box so I can clean easier. I am still considering an adjustable black pipe elbow. I'd probably have to seal the connections though.

I've had an offset on my stove because of internal clearances for 5+ years with no issues. If you're only a 3" offset most of the ash when sweeping the chimney isn't an issue and drops into a dead flow space anyway. BB is right however they do cause additional draft loss and a 45 or 30 elbow is always better if you can make it fit.

Seth22 said:
Not sure if my reply came out sounding weird. When I said "forgot" I meant it literally, not "disregarded". I'm probably gonna skip on the offset box so I can clean easier. I am still considering an adjustable black pipe elbow. I'd probably have to seal the connections though.

Don't do the black pipe elbow. In a couple of years you will be replacing it. It will corrode. I know. Did that and regretted it and replaced it with the SS one. There is a ton of heat hitting that thing right out of the flue collar.

Why tie a liner you want to be in there for life with an elbow that is gonna crap out on ya? Just do the job one time. 15 bucks for the black pipe one. Forty for one that lasts.

Ok last time I will think about or post this....

What about an adjustable galvanized elbow? A definite no-no? Or is this part of the "galvanized may or may not make you sick" debate?

I have an adjustable offset box on my insert and have had no problems with it. It does make it a little harder to clean but after cleaning the liner I just vacuum out the remaining creosote in the box that didn't fall through. Draft is fine, maybe because chimney is 28'.
Having said that, if I was you I would stay with the pipe. Makes bottom up cleaning possible if you are so inclined.

Seth .. Dont take this the wrong way but I work with a guy who asks for advice all the time but he really doesnt ever take the advice he is just wanting someone to reassure his stupid idea of doing it wrong so when it fails or doesnt work later he can blame someone else. It seems to me that you know what you should be doing your just looking for someone to agree with you on being a cheap ass and using junk to put you and your family in a dangerous situation so you wont have to take the blame when you burn the house down. Maybe you should just stick with the furnace.

cityhick said:
Seth .. Dont take this the wrong way but I work with a guy who asks for advice all the time but he really doesnt ever take the advice he is just wanting someone to reassure his stupid idea of doing it wrong so when it fails or doesnt work later he can blame someone else. It seems to me that you know what you should be doing your just looking for someone to agree with you on being a cheap ass and using junk to put you and your family in a dangerous situation so you wont have to take the blame when you burn the house down. Maybe you should just stick with the furnace.

I understand how you can see that (edit: no, I can't)... however, I think you have it wrong:
- I am planning on using black stove pipe (yes, against Brother Bart's suggestions). It will give me a little more practice with cutting and fitting. I understand I may/will have to replace this at sometime.
- I'm not looking for the lowest common denomiator to approve anything. That is what building code is.
- I have tried to ask questions, maybe even ask them when I'm not going to use the answer, when I think other people might benefit from the thoughts/replies/discussion. I don't think this forum should just be about just getting YOUR answer. I really appreciate the discussion from everyone, even you.
- Saying I'm a cheap ass and would put my family is danger is rather offensive. What did I say here that would endanger my family? An off set box? Black stove pipe? Galvanized stove pipe (which some people still claim is okay as long as it's 24 guage)? If you guessed "galvanized" but didn't want to say that NFPA-211 12.4.1.2 forbids it, then shame on you.
- What's your point? To educate? Or just be a dink?

Everybody take a deep breath. Or better yet a sip. It's Friday.

The black pipe elbow will do just fine if you don't put it in there and forget about it. I did it and got it out of there after one season because of the rapid rate of corrosion and replaced it with stainless cause that dang stove is heavy and I didn't want to pull it again. Galvey just has no place in a wood stove chimney system, period.

Heck, try the offset box for a season. You have it. I am just against them because I am death on air leaks in a chimney system. I want any air going up that chimney to have passed through the firebox first. That and I love just needing twenty minutes to do a complete chimney and stove cleaning.

Seth... I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. I still stand by what I said to do it the right way the first time but I really dont know your whole situation. Stay safe and stay warm.... No hard feelings on my end. Sometimes I need to be reminded to play nice

Status
Not open for further replies.