Insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick2887

Jan 13, 2013
SE Pa
Hello all, this is my first post. I want to install an insert on our existing fireplace. Hope to do it myself using flex liner, insulated and wrapped with the wire mesh down to a Buck 74 or similar insert. Want supplemtal heat in our 2500 ft split level. Sound good? Please poke holes where you see them.

Hello all, this is my first post. I want to install an insert on our existing fireplace. Hope to do it myself using flex liner, insulated and wrapped with the wire mesh down to a Buck 74 or similar insert. Want supplemtal heat in our 2500 ft split level. Sound good? Please poke holes where you see them.

Sounds good. Stop back when you're ready to get started & we'll answer any questions at that time.

sounds good to me but I am no expert. It usually is as easy as it sounds unless you have to start busting bricks out to get the pipe to fit or stove to fit. But breaking bricks is no big deal since the brick is no longer making the smoke shelf or the smokes path as you will have a liner after this.

Most inserts nowaday will have a 6" flue. A 6" flexible liner will fit most masonry flue. Before doing anything however, measure your chimney liner. Also shine a line up (or down) it to make sure nothing is out of place or will hang up the liner. Also sweep your chimney thoroughly before re-lining.

What's the layout of the house? Open floor plan with a central location for the stove? Insulation and air leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.