Insert into a fireplace insert question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matlocc

Jan 22, 2015
michigan
images

My cabin has a fireplace like this with a ceramic chimney. I plan on sliding a regency i2400 into it and building a surround for it. My question is can I run a piece of pipe up to the current damper and be done or do I have to cut the damper out and run a liner. I am sure that I can get a good seal between the damper and the pipe.
Any ideas?

It depends on clearances. With the damper open, is there a 7" gap for liner an insulation?

My cabin has a fireplace like this with a ceramic chimney. I plan on sliding a regency i2400 into it and building a surround for it. My question is can I run a piece of pipe up to the current damper and be done or do I have to cut the damper out and run a liner. I am sure that I can get a good seal between the damper and the pipe.
Any ideas?
It looks like a zeroclearance fireplace but hard to tell regardless you need a full liner. And if it is a zc unit you need to check the manual for that fireplace to see if putting an insert in it is permissible

Ceramic chimney on a prefab?

Ceramic chimney on a prefab?
Yeah i know that doesn't make sense but the ic looks like a prefab which is why i questioned it

I guess i don't understand why I can have a fire in the fireplace now and it works AND AN INSERT WOULD BE A PROBLEM., except no heat really from the fireplace with the bifold doors, just the romance effect. Or putting in the insert and venting it up the same chimney and running the stove pipe to the current damper.
it angles up into a slight pyramid with a weighted chain pull to open and close it) I figured with the existing brick in the current fireplace and the insert lined, heat would not be much of an issue in the opening. This fireplace runs through a terra cotta pipe, ceramic, etc..(
not sure
) to the roof. It was put in the late 70's early 80's and has only been used maybe 10 times. Just pretty logs in it for the appearance.

I guess i don't understand why I can have a fire in the fireplace now and it works AND AN INSERT WOULD BE A PROBLEM., except no heat really from the fireplace with the bifold doors, just the romance effect. Or putting in the insert and venting it up the same chimney and running the stove pipe to the current damper.

The problem is that the liner for that fire place is to large for an insert which will cause poor performance and excessive creosote. Running a pipe up into the existing liner is to code as long as you can seal it to the existing liner and you have the required clearance to combustibles between the outside of the masonry to and combustible materials (1" for an exterior chimney and 2" for internal) But it will not work near as well as if you ran a full liner.

This is particularly true if this is a one story chimney. Modern inserts rely on decent draft and dry wood for good performance. Dumping into a large, short chimney throat is a guarantee for problems. A liner sized to the stove flue collar will be safer, easier to clean and will perform better.

It is a one story place, chimney is probably 4 feeet above the peak. would I have to get some sort of extension if I put a liner in? How do you calculate chimney height?

Measure the hearth to ceiling height. Add the attic height, then add the amount of chimney sticking out of the roof. 15 ft is pretty typical for a one story, center chimney.

If you have 15-16 ft straight up it should draft well, especially with an insulated liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.