Insert or Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dman7

Dec 13, 2015
Greater Boston
Hello,

We have a large fireplace that I need to convert to an efficient heat source.

Fireplace is 52" wide, 35" tall and 30" deep. Interior masonry chimney with clay flue. About 25' tall and in Good shape!

The room its in is about 700 sq. ft with 18' ceilings with 2 ceiling fans. Insulation is so-so. House is usually cold in winter.

Question - should I by a stove, or an insert? Not looking for model names, just design principle.

Thanks

Denis

Stove. IMO you'll put more heat out with a stove, they don't usually need fans which is good for power outages, entire unit is accessible for any servicing, most stove fireboxes can readily be loaded E/W and N/S, many stoves can serve as a cooktop...

I vote stove - that's a pretty big opening that you have to work with. Stoves can give decent heat without a fan if need be.

Convective stove with an insulated block-off plate.

Sounds similar... 18' high great room with two fans and a large fireplace.

For asthetics and ease of install we went insert first (no hearth mod needed) with the largest insert that would fit flush. It worked ok, looked great, but just didn't have the power to heat the place like it should. Plus less radiant heat, no way to cook on it, and it really needed the blowers (noisy) to get much heat out of it (which is a problem in a power outage).

I think a freestanding stove is always a better option, performance wise. I can't think of any performance advantage by using an insert. It just might take some hearth work, and you might be limited in stove choice by what will fit with your venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.