Insert stove, lot of noise, not so much airflow. (Invicta Grand Angle 800)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RichardBurns

Nov 21, 2023
Greece
We bought an insert stove and have it installed by sellers (store).
The thing is, it's friggin noisy, and the airflow out is pathetic, especially when you consider the sound is similar to a jet engine running stationary. To make things worse, the fans are resonating creating an ever changing hum, it goes through the concrete of the house so I can also hear in the bedroom, so I just pull the plug at night.

Now besides the noise is it normal that the airflow out is not really blowing, rather seeping out?

They didn't make ventilation holes in the wall above the fireplace/stove. They said I was lucky they didn't have to do it, but I wonder if they just cheapened out. So all heat is coming from the front stove ventilation holes. The stones and concrete above are so hot that the concrete cracked and you can touch it only shortly.

About the noise and airflow, what kind of airflow should I expect on setting one (setting 2 is the plane taking off so thats mental).
I feel a very soft blow 30 cm from the holes, piece of newspaper hardly moves.

I do get it warm enough but winter hasn't started yet, so I wonder if it is sufficient, time will tell.

Is this the Grand Angle 800 or the Grand Angle 800 turbo?
The installation plans clearly show a hot air exit above the insert.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.22.55 AM.png

If a blower is blowing into the chamber below the fireplace then it definitely needs an exit. Otherwise the blower will be spinning to fast and the hot air has no exit. However, it's impossible to know what they did in this particular installation and whether they followed directions unless there were pictures taken during the installation or you saw how it was installed.

I have exactly the same pictures in my booklet but I can't find the word turbo.
I too frowned upon the pictures, like it was installed wrong, they sealed it completely off.
The outside build chimney base does have a little hole outside to get some fresh air, for safety measures I guess. (Not sure how it enters the stove though).

my paperwork has Insert 800 GA written down and it's 12kW

edit: there is no grand angle 800 non turbo. So it's the same, grand angle 800 is grand angle 800 turbo.

forgot to mention that they put heat resistant sheeting/material on the top, back and sides. About max 5cm thick.

IMG_7260.jpeg

crack
IMG_7261.jpeg

Last edited:
That's sad. Was this installed in an all masonry surrounding? Do you know if there is an open cavity at the top of the fireplace as shown?

That's sad. Was this installed in an all masonry surrounding? Do you know if there is an open cavity at the top of the fireplace as shown?
Yes all masonry, some space above but I cant really remember how much. It did or still has the metal /-\ thing inside above which you could close off, for sure the lid is gone now.
No cavity, the put some black paste to seal it off completely.

Have they done a bad job? Maybe even dangerous?

I trusted them but now I think they went for a quick buck.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like they knew this model or read the directions. It may need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled per directions.

It doesn't sound like they knew this model or read the directions. It may need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled per directions.
Thats weird because they have a store in the center of the city for many years.

How could I approach this matter the best, should I get invicta involved? I hate these things.

okay besides this, is it normal that inserts produce so much noise and have so little airflow?

Now that i read your previous message again about the blowing, the 2 wide holes on the top are unused/closed. It only vents at the front. Through the stove vent holes.
That those are closed when you buy it makes me wonder if is not suited to run this way?

IMG_7262.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know the unit well enough. A guess would be that because the output of the fans is blocked off, they are freewheeling and spinning much too fast. Normally this style of axial fan is very quiet. Without the top vents open, there is no convective airflow path, even with the fans off. The installation sounds like it was installed as a fireplace and not a heater.

To get an answer to these questions I would get in touch with the manufacturer.

The heat can escape, the stove unit has venting slits at the front, at the top. Very thin though.

IMG_7263.jpeg

Inside the unit it has open space around the fire compartment, all the air gets pushed from the bottom to the top, around the sides and back.

This thing has 2 fans, like computer fans, one left and one right. 12cm each.
Think I can replace them with more silent models but to me that doesn't feel right, buying a 2000 euro stove with horrible fans Doesn't sit well with me.

I have contact with invicta, they want me to send audio file for noise, I am working on it. Also asked him to check this page if it has been installed correctly.

Thank you so far, appreciated.

Last edited: