Insert suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickyTheStick

Oct 13, 2011
Montreal,QC,Canada
Hi, I'm looking at installing an insert in our existing wood burning brick fireplace. The basic reasoning is that our existing chimney needs a new liner and also the fact that an insert will be cleaner and a whole lot more efficient. I have looked around at few stores and am interested in the VC(WinterWarm) and a couple of the smaller Regency inserts. An issue that we have is the fact that we plan on installing this unit in a family room which is about 250 square feet and is pretty much closed off to the rest of the house other than a doorway leading to a large kitchen. We do not want this room to become so hot that its uncomfortable... Any thoughts? How does Regency compare to VC as far as quality? Its a whole lot cheaper

Greetings. Regency makes very good quality products. I would suggest putting a fan in the kitchen, on the floor, blowing cooler air into the den. That will help cool the room and will distribute the heat much better too.

Any chance you could put together a floor plan. Any way to make the door larger or open up the wall? You'll want to get the heat out of that room and with just one door, it may be a challenge.

I would first look into a hearth mount, if that doesn't pan out, then I would consider installing an insert.

Welcome aboard. There are alot of good products at various price points. It would help to have some dimensions of the fireplace opening, depth and height as well as the hearth (raised or floor level). Also are you interested in a flush unit or can it extend onto the hearth? Floor plans as mentioned are helpful, if the air can be circulated you may want to get more stove than you first imagine.

I would steer clear of the Winterwarm. It's an older design that VC doesn't make anymore. They do still make replacement parts though. Regency makes a very good product. Lots of good brands out there. Don't limit yourself to two. A good description of your setup will get you much more specific information about possible options.

Status
Not open for further replies.