Insert trim spring clips alternative

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
My insert holds the trim piece border with these spring clip things. They are such a pita to get in after a cleaning that i don't even use them any more. My trim looks like crap, and it rattles sometimes.

Manual states what really happens

Install two spring clips approximately five inches from each
end of each of the three trim pieces. The spring clips should be
installed in the channel of the trim with the curved portion of
the clip to the front toward the rounded surface of the trim. they don't stay there... they simply slide/fall out. unless you have 6 hands plus 2 to move the trim piece, this is not possible.

Place the longest trim piece with the rounded surface out there is no rounded surface
along
the edge of the top surround panel with the spring clips slightly
behind the surround panel. see above about how the clips already fell out. Pull the trim forward, compressing
the spring clips, and slide the trim down onto the surround. if got this far, the second you touch these tension'ed springs, the pop out and go flying like we used to do with paper clips in highschool

Insert the elbowed retainer not sure this exists in the mitred end of the side trim
pieces and fasten with flat screwdriver. Insert the other end
of the retainer in the end of the already installed top surround
trim and slide side trim onto the edge of the side surround
compressing the spring clips in the process. Repeat the same
steps for the other side trim. the trim is one big piece, 2 sides and a top. how can there be 3 parts? Fasten the elbowed retainer again, no idea what or where this is
securely in the top surround making a nice mitred corner.
maybe that's my problem? i need to take it all apart and have 3 pieces... there's an L bracket in the corner, but i'm pretty sure the installers put it on as one piece

i've rarely been more frustrated or had my patience tried harder. lol

So, is there a better way? I'd like to never touch another one of these F'ing things again, have a decent looking trim piece, and stop the rattles of the trim to surround because the aren't fastened correctly.

it needs to be removable for cleaning.

thoughts?

Are these the instructions different than the ones you were given? They sound a little more user friendly.
I haven't installed this model, but the Regency fireplace inserts utilize a similar
trim package & it works very well.

Attachments

• Black_Surround_Installation.pdf
    211.1 KB · Views: 170
Those instructions cover the top and side panels... those are fine. It's the trim piece that wraps all those together in a little 1/2" frame/trim

That trim panel should have double L-brackets in the corners. You tighten the screw on the outer "L" to put pressure on the inner one, correct? Then the whole assembly slides over the top & side panels, right?

yes. I've never taken those L brackets apart. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I try to put it on as one big piece at once

Is there a safe way to keep them attached using Velcro? You can get the stuff that comes in a small roll available at HD, Lowe's, or almost anywhere that has the self adhesive back. One side is the hooks and the other loops. It would also buffer the rattles and should only add 1/16" if you find some thin stuff.

Might want to peel off if that area gets fairly warm. Cheap 'outside the box' fix? Just a suggestion.

Or........ You could do some really cool pin stripping with a roll of KY Chrome....>>>> Duct tape! LOL!

On the Regency inserts, the entire trim piece IS assembled first, then slid onto the surround.
Once it's firmly seated, sheet metal screws are used to secure the trim to the surround. One
on each side, about an inch from the bottom...

Status
Not open for further replies.