Inside of Chimney Size??? ID or OD?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
Ok, through my cleanout of the outside of the chimney I stuck ruler to try to gauge the size of my chimney. (trying to determine what size brush to buy)

Its rectangular...... and from the inside of the masonry one side is 10" the short side appears to be 4"

Does this sound right? I see alot of 10x6 brushes on the net.... No 10x4.

Could this sizing be OD (outside diameter) not ID?

Any help appreciated.

Not sure if you have an oddball size or not. There is a standard 9 X13 tile. Not sure if the correlates to OD or ID. I had a real hard time finding a 9 X 13 brush. I ended up buying a standard 9" wire brush from Lowes. It was fairly cheap. I think it was 12.99 last year. I work it in every direction while cleaning the chimney. I am sure it doesn't do a perfect job. But it does do the job.

Standard masorry clay flues 8/8 which measures a little under 7" square inside
12/8 measures 7 /10.75 id
12/12 measuees about 11/11 little under
Modular flues 9 /13 ID 8/12
Modular 13/13 little under 11/11 ID

Don't have a clue what the size of that thing is but I do know that every rectangular flue brush I have ever seen was tagged for the OD of the tiles. And they fit really tight into the flue until they wear a little.

I have seen ten by six tiles but that was the OD.

Status
Not open for further replies.