1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Inside stove safe pots ect...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Ducky, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Ducky

Ducky Member

Loc:
    Buffalo, NY
    My stove... Which I run at night, is a Vermont castings vigilant.... Anyways I do cook, quite often on top of it... I have been wondering... About using the inside as an oven. Say let it. Burn to coals, then insert a pot, to cook say stew, bake a pizza ect...

All my cooking pans are cast iron... Haven't got any iron pots... Would those be safe to set inside the stove for a bit? Say 20 min? I know that's a long time inside but what would be safe ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I've done a few steaks in my cast iron frying pans . . . wicked tasty . . . and very fast cooking. Coated the pan with olive oil, threw in the steaks, seasoned and put on the coals. Only took a couple of minutes. Only drawback was the sizzling fat did spatter on to the inner glass (cooks off with the next big fire though) and when you bring out the cast iron it is wicked hot . . . as in so hot you better not be planning on walking anywhere far with it and you really need a well insulated hearth glove.

Attached Files:

4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If you are going for a slower cook, move the coals away from the pan or you will have hot spots that need stirring frequently to avoid burning the food.