Inspecting a used insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2009
I have put a few posts up for buying a Regency I2400 Insert in the coming weeks. The coming weeks have come and I am going to take a look at the insert on Sunday. I was told that the insert is in really good condition, practically new. I want to make sure. What should I be looking for when I am there? How do I know the stove is still air tight and efficient? What tools should I bring to do the inspection?

Thanks,
Kevin

Here's what I would check for:
1. any visible cracks (obvious I guess)
2. the burn tubes at the top of the firebox are in good shape
3. the baffle above the burn tubes is intact

I would remove the fire-brick and have a good look at the welds on the inside. The fire brick is a pumice like material, so it's possible they aren't in good shape, even thought the stove is fine. The bricks are reasonably cheap from the dealer.

Coming from someone else with the same insert, Ill definitely take your advice.

Rapid fire questions:

How do you like the insert?
Do you have the blower?
And does it heat your house efficiently?
What size house?

Bring a good flashlight.

Ya, that was already on the list...

What exactly do air tubes do?

Ya, that was already on the list...

What exactly do air tubes do? My current stove only has the baffle.

air tubes provide secondary air (derriere huh huh) to burn gases/smoke and make the stove efficient.

Inserts have a space at top where the air exits. Look in with a flashlight and check for warpage or stove pipe leaks. Putting the light in the stove- you will see cracks if there are any developing in the exit flue there. I suggest this because mine is developing some. I suspect that I overfired the snot out of it.

If I recall this is offered to you at an awesome price like $500, isn't it? Naturally you want to be sure it's not majorly warped or whatever but at that price smaller flaws or replacement parts can be considered right? I guess if you were majorly warped or something that would be a no-go though regardless. But I am sure that would probably be pretty obvious! Good luck, you are a lucky one to be getting this nice deal if it works out!

Ya, the deal is for $500... might be a little ballsy and offer $400 when I get there. The worst thing that can happen is he says no and I pay the $500. There is a Regency I3100 for sale in South Jersey for $650. Bigger stove, longer burn time, but it has several cracked bricks. I don't know if I need anything that big, just a 1400 sq ft single floor ranch... I just want to make sure I have a good general idea of what I am looking for. I want to go in as educated as possible. I never dive into anything like this half-assed.

You're a smart man! Good luck

Last night before falling asleep I was thinking about the inspection on Sunday. Would it be a good idea to throw a piece of newspaper in there, light it, and then throw a piece of wet newspaper on top and close everything down. I think it would help me detect if there were any big problems with the insert (cracks, broken welds, etc).

Just a though.

Status
Not open for further replies.