Inspecting pipe after two burn season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jpcjguy

Jul 1, 2015
richmond, va
Hi all,

So doing a final inspection before I start using my wood burning insert (Boston Enviro 1700) this season. I replace a couple damaged pumice bricks and took the the baffles out and took a picture up the pipe. Seems pretty clean to me, but first time looking at it. What are your thoughts?
The first pic (wood_stove1) is untouched. The second I put a small dustpan brush and attempted to wipe it a little to see what happens. Could not reach very far... :)

Thanks,
Joe

wood_stove1.jpg wood_stove2.jpg

Looks fairly clean, you might try blowing them out with a blower or air compressor.

Edit: Oops, I was thinking those were baffle tubes.

Last edited:
I'd buy a Sooteater, then you can brush all of it from the bottom up.
It does not look bad to me, but a cleaning before burning a new season is always good. (in fact, probably better after the last burn so the stuff is not in there all (humid) summer)

The bottom looks good but how’s the top? Most build up is near the top section and cap.

Reactions: stoveliker
It looks like the liner went right into the flue collar instead of with a stove adapter. How is the liner secured in place?