Inspector coming, need hearth info for Englander 30 NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
Does anyone know the exact size the hearth has to be for a englander 30? I looked in the manual and it says48" x 48" for the stove but then it says you have to have 8" on the back and sides and 16" in front...if i went by that...the pad would be smaller than 48" x 48" . . the depth would be the same but the width would be 8" narrower... I dont want to take up anymore space than i have to...thanks

Irrelevant. The manual calls for a minimum 48" X 48" of U.L. listed and rated floor protection of at least R-value 1.5 and that is what the building inspector is going to use as a guide for sign off on the installation.

Or the insurance company will use to whack you over the head if you don't do it.

looks like 48 x 48 it is..lol..thanks

I'm building the pad for my 30-NC right now. We finished putting the tile down this morning. We'll be grouting tomorrow. I don't have pictures to post quite yet of the tile, but I'll be posting those shortly.

My hearth pad is 52" wide. It was going to be 48" but I the tiles I selected were 13" square, and I wanted the pad to be four whole tiles wide, so that's where 52" came from. It comes out 80" from the corner into my room. Mine is a corner install, so the pad comes out 45 degrees from the corner, and is pointed at the back end into the corner.

I'm working from memory here, but I believe the manual says a minimum of 8" of floor coverage is needed on either side of the stove (the 48" dictated by the manual would have exceeded this though), as well as 18" of hearth in front of the stove. My pad is designed to exceed minimum requirements. Part of the 80" into the room is due to the 15" minimum clearance to the walls for the corner install. Where the stove sits, the pad has to stick that far into the room.

This is the thread that I started on this site to document my install and ask questions as I go.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11825/

Post pictures as you work on it. Most of us enjoy watching the progress.

-SF

Hey guys, I made my hearth pad 48'x50"for my englander 30 it says it requires 48"x48" and it says 8" clearance on sides and back..16" on front...i have 8" on the back measuring from the heat shield...and plenty on the sides...its the front im worried about..if i measure from the door out it is only 15" to end of hearth pad.but if i measure from the body of the stove in the front its 16"...I figure i would have plenty cause i made the hearth 2"deeper than what it requires ,does anyone know where you are suppose to measure from in the front??? getting worried inspector is coming at 10 am tomorrow...thanks guys

The correct measurement is from the loading door of the stove.

that means the 48"x48" measurements they gave in the manual is wrong?

wow my manual says 16" in front...i hope he doesnt fail it for a inch...that would really suck...

NEW codes for 2008 are 18" in front of the stove, you may have a problem with the inspection.

i ask them before i built the hearth and they said they go by the stove manual

Maybe the inspector will be a knothead, and will go by the manual as well. Just present him with the manual for reference when he is looking at it.

Well, if they pass it so be it but they may have been assuming the manual was updated. Just letting you know what the current code is.

ya i hope he lets it go...it will be alot more work if he doesnt...moving that stove was a pain..i will have to move the stove and the hearth at the same time this time...and add on to it in the back...one more question...im sort of new to this forum...why does my name keep changing ..it went from burning chunk to really hot....just wondering

FJLayes625 said:
wow my manual says 16" in front...i hope he doesnt fail it for a inch...that would really suck...

Keep your mouth shut. If he pulls out the tape measure open the door and let him measure from the stove body at the door opening. The pic in the manual looks like that is a possibility. Though it ain't what they meant.

That or if you can move that hearth pad forward a couple of inches and put the heat shield on the floor behind it. Heck it isn't but five hundred pounds to pick up. :coolsmirk:

FJLayes625 said:
ya i hope he lets it go...it will be alot more work if he doesnt...moving that stove was a pain..i will have to move the stove and the hearth at the same time this time...and add on to it in the back...one more question...im sort of new to this forum...why does my name keep changing ..it went from burning chunk to really hot....just wondering

Based on number of posts. Shortly mine will change to "Blabbering Old Fool".

haha too funny

Of course you want to have a safe installation that meets code, but if your inspection is anything like the one I had three years ago for my stove, it won't be a problem. My inspector took no measurements, didn't refer to any code book or ask for my manual. We shot the breeze for five minutes, he signed it off and said sayanora.

Good Luck

well the only problem with that is that i wont be here..my girlfriend will...i already told her to have a low cut shirt on and a bowl of pasta ready for him...

maybe i'll just take the door off before i go to work...and see what happens....

i just got a email saying the moderator has merged my thread....is that bad? anyone know?

maybe im not suppose to seduce the inspector my girlfriends low cut shirt and a bowl of pasta...well im doing it anyway...oh well...lol

FJLayes625 said:
maybe im not suppose to seduce the inspector my girlfriends low cut shirt and a bowl of pasta...well im doing it anyway...oh well...lol

Pics!

chrisN said:
Of course you want to have a safe installation that meets code, but if your inspection is anything like the one I had three years ago for my stove, it won't be a problem. My inspector took no measurements, didn't refer to any code book or ask for my manual. We shot the breeze for five minutes, he signed it off and said sayanora.

Good Luck

Must be a SECT thing, thats exactly how mine went. I don't think the inspector had any clue what he was looking for, we spent most of the time talking about the bar I built in the rec room.

nice! i have a bar i built about 5 feet away from the stove...that might help...with a bunch of liquor on it..that might help too...hee hee well i guess i'll have to wait and see...

I was just thinking with the low cut shirt of my girl,the pasta,the bar and all the liquor on it...i should be able to pass my inspection with my stove sitting in a puddle of gasoline....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.