Install 6" liner inside existing 8" SS Double Wall Duravent??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkk

Dec 28, 2014
Northern Ohio
Looking for new insert to replace aging VC Winterwarm large. Most I am looking at require 6" liner but my VC required 8". In 2002, had new 8" double wall Duravent installed by the stove shop. Could I leave the 8" in place and simply slide in a 6" SS flex pipe?? As the Duravent is double wall, I should not have to insulate the 6"?

Looking for new insert to replace aging VC Winterwarm large. Most I am looking at require 6" liner but my VC required 8". In 2002, had new 8" double wall Duravent installed by the stove shop. Could I leave the 8" in place and simply slide in a 6" SS flex pipe?? As the Duravent is double wall, I should not have to insulate the 6"?
There would be no reason to insulate the 6" liner. I also think you would likely be just fine reducing the 8" liner to 6". Many people have an issue with this because the manufacturer often recommends 6" all the way out. But, in most instances it will cause no problems at all reducing to 6".

??? DuraVent is a company. What exactly did they put in the chimney for the Winterwarm? An 8" insulated Duraliner or what? If it is insulated DuraLiner, then maybe it could be used for the replacement stove. How tall is the chimney? If it is tall enough the stove may be able to adapt to and use the 8" liner. What stove will this be? A big one like the Kuma Sequoia or Country Canyon may be fine this way.

Last edited:
I meant to say 8" double wall Duraliner, but before responding, I wanted to dig out the paperwork from 2002 when it was installed. Specifically, they installed 4EA X 4' Round Rigid Pipe, 1EA x5' Round to Round flex pipe, 1EA Oval to Round Flex Pipe and 8" Round Extend-A-Cap Kit.

My question is, if I chose to go with an insert that required a 6", could I slide a 6" flex pipe the inside the 8" from stove all the way upto the cap utilizing the 8" as a chase for the 6" flex? This would offer the proper liner size and provide an insulated liner system.

The Kuma has always had my eye, but only one dealer in Ohio, hour and a half away. I have read all that I can on them on this site, but really need to see the insert and learn more about the unit, number in service, easy of maintaining, etc.

I have been researching this site for the last couple of months as this is the last winter for the VC due to it aging (cast is becoming eaten away on pieces). See my other post (see below) where I detailed my search for a replacement insert.

VC Winterwarm Large Replacement
Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jkk, Sunday at 11:49 AM.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/vc-winterwarm-large-replacement.137921/#post-1853529

Thanks to this site and all of the support that the members have given, I really appreciate it.

Agreed. The new insert may work fine with the 6" adapted to the 8" Duraliner. I would just put on a 6" x 8" increaser.

I would try an adapter from 6" to your existing 8" first.
I tried the 6" to 8" adapter but didn't like the draw , didn't seem like it had enough draw to it. I put a 6" SS liner in the 8" double wall insulated pipe . Draws great now and the 8" going up through my attic , has very little temperature to it after a hot fire and flue temps at 400F. The pipe was barely warm to the touch.

Mark,
what was your setup that was not drafting well? I have chimney, 21' of liner (no basement) and a straight shot up. Currently I have great draft (house sits on top of a hill).

For reference I'm running an 8" liner with my Jotul Oslo and it drafts fine. Chimney is about 22'.

Mark,
what was your setup that was not drafting well? I have chimney, 21' of liner (no basement) and a straight shot up. Currently I have great draft (house sits on top of a hill).
When I installed my Mansfield last yr, I had a double wall 8" flue from my Fisher. Not wanting to redo all the piping , interior, etc. I installed the adapter and the draft fell off to almost nothing. My pipe was only 12', so I'm sure that was the problem . It was easier and economical , to install the 6" SS. I would have made the complete change , if I had intentions of staying in this house , but after this winter , one more heating season and we will be moving the Mansfield to our log home.

Status
Not open for further replies.