Install Location - WIP House Plans Attached

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burningfire

Nov 4, 2014
Canada
We (wife and I) are going to be building a rancher with a walk out basement this spring. We're planning to have our living room be in the basement with an open ceiling up to the dining room and kitchen area. We would both love to have a free standing steel stove like the Super 27.

The house in the attached drawings is about 1000 sqft per floor.

I've been reading here that basement installs don't typically work but the layout I've drawn is far from typical. What I'm hoping to get out of this layout is to have the stove be able to heat the both floors. I'm hoping that the stairs towards the front of the house will allow the cold air to fall to the basement thus creating a nice loop.

What are your thoughts on this layout?

Disclaimer:

Details on the drawings are still missing but the general layout is there. I want to get some feedback from all of you before spending more time with the details if this won't work well.

I had previously posted up the following question but at the time my drawings were too confusing to look at.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/stove-location-question.134066/#post-1801512

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.58.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.58.22 PM.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.58.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.58.04 PM.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.57.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.57.19 PM.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.54.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.54.58 PM.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 122
Looks like it might heat pretty well if the house is very well insulated per your climate.

Hi Begreen,

Thanks for taking a look. I was hoping you would :)

The house will be well insulated and build in the southern interior of British Columbia. Our typical low temperature at night during the coldest months is -10C with the coldest nights being closer to -25C. Day time highs during the winter are typically 0C.

Does a Super 27 sound good or too big?

EDIT: I should also mention we'll be burning softwoods (pine, fir, cedar) as that's what we have available in our area for free.

In our climate the Super 27 will do a good job. It's a flexible burner, able to burn a partial load cleanly during mild weather and able to put out good heat with a full load. It's easy to operate and has excellent burn times. Our next door neighbor heats his 1600sq ft old leaky farmhouse with a Spectrum and it does a great job burning the same softwoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.