Install Pellet stove where former wood stove went

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pchan6788

Jan 7, 2015
Maine
I have a hole in my chimney for where a wood stove was. I was interested in installing a pellet stove but was wondering if I could reuse that opening. I haven't settled on a stove yet and was possibly interested in installing it myself. I've seen where people used a liner but since I already have the 8in hole how would I connect to my stove? I don't think a 4in liner coming from the 8in opening down to my stove is very appealing. Is there an adapter thimble to use to try and cover up most of the hole? I've seen in an Pleasant Hearth manual where they run a wood stove elbow off the opening and have a 4in to 8in adapter to downsize going into the pellet stove. Anybody ever install like that?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 124
I have a hole in my chimney for where a wood stove was. I was interested in installing a pellet stove but was wondering if I could reuse that opening. I haven't settled on a stove yet and was possibly interested in installing it myself. I've seen where people used a liner but since I already have the 8in hole how would I connect to my stove? I don't think a 4in liner coming from the 8in opening down to my stove is very appealing. Is there an adapter thimble to use to try and cover up most of the hole? I've seen in an Pleasant Hearth manual where they run a wood stove elbow off the opening and have a 4in to 8in adapter to downsize going into the pellet stove. Anybody ever install like that?[/QUOTE

My pipe goes from 4" to 6" at the chimney opening where I once had a wood stove, into a 8" x 11" clay lined flue, no liner. Been working fine for 4 years now. Go for it.

When was the last time it was cleaned and inspected by a sweep? Any creosote buildup from the wood stove? Any damage to clay liner could allow CO mitigation into the living space...

PS May want to check with local building officials as jurisdictions do require liners...

Last edited:
Depends on the stove you buy and the venting diagrams that come with the particular make and model you purchase. Some allow for venting into a clay liner and others require a 3 or 4" flex liner etc. all the way up. As far as what is acceptable in the house, anything inside the house has to be double wall pellet vent ( including T's,cleanouts, elbows and adapters) and pellet vent is under a slight pressure, wood stove venting is not. Where applicable you could adapt at the thimble out to 8".

Here is a link to an example of a 4"-8" pellet vent adapter: https://www.pricefalls.com/product/pelletvent-pro-4-8-pellet-chimney-adapter/86705454?utm_source=BingShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=PLA&utm_content={ProductId}&utm_campaign=ShopChimney+|+686&creative=9444281740&device=c&matchtype=e

And here is a photo of pellet vent to chimney adapter:
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41BPjNpsNmL._SL160_.jpg

Last edited:
The issue with venting into a masonry flue is that if there is any cracks or holes you will get combustion products into the house as the pellet exhaust is positive pressure whereas the wood stove uses natural draft which is negative and any leaks will pull air into the chimney not push exhaust out.

Reactions: Lake Girl
cab50.jpg Cab501.jpg
Have any photos you could share? I'd be interested to see how it actually looks.

I have no problems with CO detectors or any odors at all with this install. It drafts just fine, though not as intensely as the wood stove the same principal applies. Instead of 300 to 500 degrees drafting it's 150 to 170 degrees. I sweep the 40' chimney every spring and get about 1 to 2 coffee cans of powder at the clean out, no creosote build up at all. It's the same consistency as what is in the firebox. And yes check with your town/city install codes. My inspector was fine with this install.

Attachments

• cab50.jpg
    cab50.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Cab501.jpg
    Cab501.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 137
  • cab50.jpg
    cab50.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 141
View attachment 191080 View attachment 191081

I have no problems with CO detectors or any odors at all with this install. It drafts just fine, though not as intensely as the wood stove the same principal applies. Instead of 300 to 500 degrees drafting it's 150 to 170 degrees. I sweep the 40' chimney every spring and get about 1 to 2 coffee cans of powder at the clean out, no creosote build up at all. It's the same consistency as what is in the firebox. And yes check with your town/city install codes. My inspector was fine with this install.

Thanks for taking pics of your setup. I would be interested in doing something like that but with more pellet stove pipe versus the wood stove piping

View attachment 191080 View attachment 191081

It sounds like your inspector is a unique individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.