Install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I'm planning the installation of my insert and I have a question about clearances. I have a concrete block chimney that is covered with furing strips and then wood paneling. Around the fireplace is marble glued to the block. I need to remove three inches of the paneling above the insert to meet my clearances. This means removing the marble on the top and the sides of the fireplace. I'm thinking it would be too expensive to buy new larger marble to replace the old. So I'm thinking about using a marble tile. Here's the problem. Currently the marble I have is the same thickness as the paneling and furing strips. The tile I'm looking at buying isn't that thick. What can I glue to the concrete block and then glue the new tile to that will allow me to make them flush.

Go to your home center and in the flooring section the have cement board and other sub-floor products, one of them should work. I'm not sure of the combustible rating of them but I'm sure they would be fine. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.