1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Installation of a 1800i in our house

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mackconsult, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackconsult

mackconsult Member

Loc:
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    I have an existing zero clearence fireplace in our 10 year old house that is framed into a chase. After talking with a local reseller he said that the 1800i would probably fit, although tightly. Also the existing fireplace opening is 8" off the floor level and so I will have to support the 1800i on the front. The local reseller mentioned that I could just make some type of a metal shroud for the bottom.

I am a mechnical engineer with a seat of solidworks and have designed alot of parts out of sheet metal. I feel very comfortable designing a skirt for this purpose, but not really sure what I can use for material or paint given the heat that the wood stove insert gives off. Will standard 14 gage cold roll steel work, and can I just use a black powder coat paint job?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards ...... A guy with tons of wood but a very innefcient fireplace.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Look at install thread over on the picture forum... maybe some helpful hints there.
  3. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Thanks Don...

I do wonder what needs supporting though. If the stove is sitting on it's feet, there is nothing else to support. If you look VERY carefully at my final install you'll see (well, maybe hard) that the blower isn't supported. It's hanging off the stove as intended. The new mantle is just below the blower, but doesn't actually touch it. Visually it looks supported, but is not.
    I didn't see anything in the manual that stated it needed to be supported either.

I do agree the 1800i does look like it's got a chin if you don't visually fix that, but functionally...I think it's fine. You might find it gets bumped though or logs might get dropped on it. So far, mine has held up o.k.
  5. mackconsult

mackconsult Member

Loc:
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    My plan is to support the front either with some type of a steel structure or fire brick, and then a sheet metal skirt with louvers that is painted.

I have found the best paint to use is what is called "pure silica paint". It is used on vechile exhaust manifolds, but is very expensive.

I will hopefully post some finish pictures at some point.

Regards ....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.