Installed the new stove today and had first break-in fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheRockies

Aug 15, 2008
Northern US Rockies
Well, after much cursing and use of a rubber mallet, I got the stove pipe together and the new stove installed today. I even had the first small break-in fire. Even with such a small fire (clearly, I couldn't run the blower since it was a small fire), I was surprised how much better it conducts heat in to the great room than the big, old beast of a stove that it replaces. Now to get my act together and get my wood shed full.

and now to to post a picture of that beauty burning!

crimping tool works better than a rubber hammer

Once I've finished the break-in fires and can burn a big one, I'll take a photo and post it. I used the pre-crimped black pipe--the tightest connection that took forever was the first one--an adjustable elbow to the 7"-to 6" reducer. Those two pipes just fought me.

You have a beautiful set-up Rockies. What kind of stove is it? Put your stove name in your signature.

I did invest in a pipe crimping tool. It was the only thing that let me insert my DVL adapter into my stove collar of my Englander 13NC....Probably never will need it again, but it was cheaper than a stove installer. Oh, and it did come in handy when I hooked up my outside air supply. When englander says a 3" pipe...one actually needs a 3-1/8 to 3-1/4' pipe to make the fitting work or conversely a tool to make a fit for a 2-7/8" pipe.... It's a good investment for the ages.

Awesome, it's good to see fire on that stunning stone hearth. Congratulations!

Thank you all. I've added my stove to my signature. I bought a Century--the S273. It's rated to handle 1500 sq. ft--I have a small home--only 1200 sq. ft. I got it at a very good price at the local Ace hardware. Although the firebox isn't huge, it's not super small either--it's 2 cubic ft. I did order the blower kit for it. I was able to keep my costs at a reasonable level--a little under $900 with the blower kit and new stove pipe. Best of all, by installing it myself, I didn't have to deal with the local contractors, who didn't want to work with me if I didn't buy a stove from one of the local wood stove shops that sell everything at a considerably higher price. Plus, it's now installed and ready for duty. I bought a new chain saw today. I now need to get my wood--I know what I will be doing this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.