Installed the PF100, well it's 95% installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
So, the used PF100 is installed. Getting my baffles tomorrow so it's not set into the trunk yet but it's just 6" away from it'

I messed up and put the sealant in the pipe and I either didn't use enough or it's meant for the outside of the pipe. When I started the PF, it's know for smoking on auto start. Well, it came out of every crack. What was odd is that it also came out of the cleaning cap, do I caulk that too? If yes then you cut out the caulk each time?

Other than the smoke and that motor hum (I think it's a little off balance, it's beefy at 2000 cfm), it's 85 degrees in the basement. I'm letting it cool down so I can recaulk each seam on the outside and tomorrow after the baffles are in place, I'm hooking it up for good.

Can I get a YAHOOOO!!

Can someone fill me in on the caulk procedures?

dmaclaren said:
So, the used PF100 is installed. Getting my baffles tomorrow so it's not set into the trunk yet but it's just 6" away from it'

I messed up and put the sealant in the pipe and I either didn't use enough or it's meant for the outside of the pipe. When I started the PF, it's know for smoking on auto start. Well, it came out of every crack. What was odd is that it also came out of the cleaning cap, do I caulk that too? If yes then you cut out the caulk each time?

Other than the smoke and that motor hum (I think it's a little off balance, it's beefy at 2000 cfm), it's 85 degrees in the basement. I'm letting it cool down so I can recaulk each seam on the outside and tomorrow after the baffles are in place, I'm hooking it up for good.

Can I get a YAHOOOO!!

Can someone fill me in on the caulk procedures?

What did you get for vent pipe?

The only thing that got any silly cone applied to it on my setup was the stove adapter and the space around the pipe and the wall thimble on the outside of the house.

The vent installation instructions should tell you where the sealant goes.

I got the simpson pro. Maybe I didn't twist them 100%. Any, I did them with seal on the inside which may have made it a little tough to twist. I did go back and added sealant to all the joints then wiped them off. So, I didn't add a ton. Also, it's almost the full 18' I am at 17' horiz and 2' If the 2' is considered part of the horiz calc then the 2 is divided by 1.66666666666667 and it's really 1.2 so I am .2 over.

I think the first smoke was due to an ice cold pipe and the long rin with the ton of smoke from the auto start.

I also should have waited to run it until the caulk cured. well, I'm impatient

I used caulk the first time I put my pipes together but it was a royal PITA to get them apart again to clean them. Now I used aluminum duct tape. It's much easier to get the pipes off for a cleaning and it does a great job of sealing the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.