Installer top plate mistake. Pictures included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sons924

Burning Hunk
Mar 7, 2013
Anyone ever seen this before? Doesn't make sense to me at all. No block off plate which I'm not terribly concered with but this means all heat is lost through the opening!

Installer is returning Saturday to close it completely, but said he left the gap to elimitante smells from the chimney.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 298
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 265
No even with the top cap that should be closed off, he may be used to installing smoke dragons. It wouldn't hurt to put a little roxul a couple of feet on top either.

Straight cut on both sides. I bet it was an accidental cut or he didn't have the right part. Put it in anyway and hoped you woudn't notice. I wouldn't accept a patch either, a new top plate that covers the entire flue is the right way and you paid to have it done right.

How many fires have you had so far?

Is the top plate even secured to the chimney tile? One good windy rain storm and you would have a wet stove top. I take it no insulation packed at the top either?

No insulation. It seems tight. I'll go back up after the company comes back on Saturday and see what they did.

No, that doesn't look proper.

May I thread-jack seeing as the OP is in the same boat?

I see the mention of insulating at the top of chimney. I know my install does not have this. How important is this?

My top cap is sealed with a bead of adhesive on the top of the terracotta. Would it really be worth the trouble of some how taking it off to pack some insulation in there?

Thanks.

Lots of variables that can affect the answer to insulating the top. None of them would stop me from doing so, but the effects can change. Do you have a bottom block off plate? Is the liner insulated? etc. There is no down side from doing so. A bottom block off is just as - if not more important in my opinion. I would do both.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Lots of variables that can affect the answer to insulating the top. None of them would stop me from doing so, but the effects can change. Do you have a bottom block off plate? Is the liner insulated? etc. There is no down side from doing so. A bottom block off is just as - if not more important in my opinion. I would do both.

Thanks Jags.

Yes, my liner is actually double-wrapped top to bottom with liner insulation. I do not have a block off plate, but it is well sealed with insulation in the space between the flue opening and the liner.

Straight cut on both sides. I bet it was an accidental cut or he didn't have the right part. Put it in anyway and hoped you woudn't notice. I wouldn't accept a patch either, a new top plate that covers the entire flue is the right way and you paid to have it done right.
X2
The plate didn't quite cover, but the installer used it anyways, thinking no one would ever know. And prolly praying it would not leak and him get caught.
I would also go as far as make sure he seals the top plate to the surface below it.

IMG-20130922-00179.jpg IMG-20130922-00182.jpg

This is how I modified my top plate to utilize my OAK drawing air from the flue-saved $160.00 for a top plate 14" x 18" version. My air gap is only about 1" and I did use a bottom block off plate and Roxul.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that doesn't look proper.

May I thread-jack seeing as the OP is in the same boat?

I see the mention of insulating at the top of chimney. I know my install does not have this. How important is this?

My top cap is sealed with a bead of adhesive on the top of the terracotta. Would it really be worth the trouble of some how taking it off to pack some insulation in there?

Thanks.

Meh, leave it alone. Your liner is already insulated which was only required if your brick chimney had failed. Additional insulation stuffed on top won't hurt a thing but is not a worth undoing good work.

Reactions: AnalogKid and Jags
Meh, leave it alone. Your liner is already insulated which was only required if your brick chimney had failed. Additional insulation stuffed on top won't hurt a thing but is not a worth undoing good work.

Agreed - but I would take it one small step further. This assumes that a bottom block off plate has been used (at least in my opinion).

Analogkid,
When you clean your liner take a careful look at how much creosote has built up in the top section of the flue. If there is more creosote at the top where the chimney sticks out of the roof, assuming you have an internal chimney as opposed to an outside chimney) than down lower where the chimney is inside the attic. If there is more build up, then you might benefit from stuffing some additional insulation around the liner to maintain a little higher temperature inside the liner. When you see rain caps covered in creosote and the liner is relatively clean it's a tip off that the cold cap lets the smoke condense onto it while the warmer liner, does not.

Reactions: AnalogKid
Status
Not open for further replies.