Installing 19?? wood stove help with installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCarService

Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2009
Puget Sound,WA
Hello all Let me just say I'm new to winter cold,from the caribbean no need for wood stoves,heaters,etc.
New here I am installing a used wood stove dated on bottom 1936 but not sure if that is year of manufacture or not.
Heavy seems to be Cast Iron stove in excellent condition aside from needing new screws to secure the clean out door.
so far I have it cleaned up and painted with proper paint and built a pad of durock topped with marble tile.

Now I need help with the proper piping..running through 2 story daylight rambler built in 1901..?seems to be lots of confusion about the proper piping I need to use
through the second story and do I need some type of heat shield through the first floor ceiling-came with piping up to the first floor ceeling black appears to be single wall pipe.
Help

Attachments

• S7300635.JPG
    S7300635.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 220
Nice stove. However, it appears from the picture that the required clearances are not being honored and the hearth is too small. The stove needs a minimum of 36" clearance from combustibles. The pool table is too close as it the back of the stove to the wall. It's critically important to allow enough distance from combustibles and the stove. A veneer of marble is not adequate shielding from the heat unless there is a 1" ventilated space behind it. A proper NPFA heat shield will reduce the clearance from the required 36" behind the stove, to 12". Having a pool table so close to what will be a very hot stove is also bad, even if there is 36" distance from the table. These old stoves radiate a lot of heat. You don't want someone accidentally backing into the stove to get a corner shot.

The pipe that starts at the ceiling and goes up through the next floor (or attic) MUST be class A, high temp pipe all the way up and out through the roof. There should be a proper class A ceiling support box at the bottom of this pipe. Then either single or double wall pipe can connect the stove to the ceiling support box. Note that the same brand of pipe should be used all the way.

Here's a good starting article to read:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove

Thank you so much for the reply.
I found this site after I started building the Hearth pad,I built it using the same dimensions
as I old house I pulled it out of but, from your answer and what I have been reading my hearth pad is definately up for demolition and restart.
again thanks

Keep asking questions. It looks like a nice stove, but the old timers need generous clearances and heat protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.