Installing a new insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LUKEMAR

Sep 6, 2016
Hello yall, I'm new here and just purchased a Lopi Large hybrid-Fyre insert. i have an all stone fireplace with plenty of room for it but i need to run electricity to the fireplace. and really dont want to drill threw the fireplace but on the bottom of my fireplace i have a trap that goes into the basement. i would imagine it was used for pulling out ash at one point of time. can i just run an extension cord threw this to power the lopi and should i really have it done professionally. hope i made this sound ok thanks for the help
Luke

can possible get pictures later this evening but i have not pulled the fireplace doors or blower set up yet

If you are going to have this install inspected by your local Authority Having Jurisdiction ( AHJ - ie building inspector) you might better ask them.
If they OK electricity in the fireplace, it may have to be installed with hot wired, metal-armored (BX) cable & with a junction box positively attached to the fireplace floor.

Reactions: webby3650
OK makes sense, i talked to the people doing the install for me and they basically said it would be fine but to use the heat protected wiring also

Status
Not open for further replies.