Installing a pellet insert w/zero clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaleel_da_sheik

Apr 10, 2009
Southern Oregon
I am in the process of remodeling my home and am planning to heat it with a pellet stove. I'm not a big fan of the space taken up by free-standing units and was looking to get a pellet stove "insert" instead.

I don't have an existing fireplace that will be accepting the insert in the traditional sense and have the option of building the fireplace specifically for the insert.

My question: do I have to use the ghastly looking flat-metal shroud that surrounds each and every manufacturer's pellet insert or can I have my self-made false fireplace cozy right up to the insert?

I know there is some required distance between the stove and any sort of burnable material (wood framing) but those sheet metal shrouds are so ugly that I am trying to minimize the clearance as much as possible.

Details: I am planning on having plenty of access to the rear of the stove by just walking around the false fireplace wall.

- ryan

If you download the manual for the Napoleon insert, you will see instruction for option of placing it in an enclosure that isn't a fireplace at all, but looks to be. I am not going to recommend this stove, but would advise you look around for other inserts. See one you like, download the manual to see it it needs a fireplace or just a look alike closet.
I have the free standing model of the Napoleon stove. No problems with it, not one. But others have had them. If I knew what I know now, I think I would have gone for a stove that could burn other fuels besides pellets. http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Tech/installation_manuals/NPS40_NPI40.pdf page 24 "installation into a combustible enclosure"

Some pellet inserts require a "shroud" to be built in the wall, some do not. The only brand i am familiar with that allows true zero clearance pellet insert installations it the quadrafire castile, and mt vernon. The can both be built in the wall into stud framing.They have a new complete ZC fireplace called the edge 60. I am sure other manufactures offer the same options, but i have no idea which ones do.

Definitely check out all the Quad units. They can all be installed as a "built in" unit. Typically you still use the surround panel but if you do some nice tile work and put the panel over that is can come out looking really nice. Also as MSG mentioned there is a new unit on the way (EDGE 60) that is a true built in pellet fireplace, its basically a Mt Vernon AE insert in a cabinet with slide out rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.