Installing a temp probe! in the flue of a wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
This will be my first real season with my new Harman Exception wood insert.What would be the best way to install a probe to monitor the temp in the flue.I have heard that it can get pretty hot compared to the interior of the stove due to its downdraft design.I would like to monitor for any possible overfireing.If anyone knows what a typical temp range for my type of stove in the flue!please let me know.I'm still a rookie and want to do this all right!!.

You only need to insert it in the flu if it's sick. :) (just kiddin)

I would guess a flue temp of about 500-700 with the afterburner fired off.

The only way to install and read a probe in your insert flue pipe is to burn it with the surround off. Most insert people put a surface thermometer around the front face above the door.

Actually, mostly on the top of the stove unless it's an insert.

BeGreen said:
You only need to insert it in the flu if it's sick. :) (just kiddin)

I would guess a flue temp of about 500-700 with the afterburner fired off.

:lol: Thanx BeGreen.Heres hoping for a healthy stove with a long life.

Keep us posted on how it performs. Actually, this is my dumb, I didn't look at your avatar :red:. Todd is correct. Because you have an insert, a surface thermometer on the face of the stove may be as good a location as you can find. A probe thermometer is meant for a freestanding stove. There are some fancy remote probes, but they are pricey.

That's a nice find and good price for a digital thermometer. There are several folks that would like the one with the big display. It would work in this application, but I'd just go with a simple surface mount thermometer on the top face in either corner. It will give you a relative reading.

SJ, you don't need to have a temperature probe installed right into the flue gas path to know how you're stove's operating. A simple magnetic thermometer on your stove and some experience with it will tell you all you need to know. You may never know what the actual highest temperature is inside the firebox, or in the secondary burn inferno, or even within the stovepipe itself...but you'll know by watching the simple surface mount thermometer whether or not you're burning hotter or cooler than normal. You'll figger it out. Rick

Thanks all!!for the info.Ill get a stick on thermometer to place on the stove and use the Ir temp gun i bought when i got the stove.

Yes, I didn't know you had one. Leave the surround off for a week in the dead of winter and use it to measure surface temps just above the flue collar. You can then correlate that to the face thermometer and have a pretty good idea of what temps you're running at.

thanks again BeGreen! I just didnt like the idea of removing the surround to take a temp measurement of the flue collar.The one thing i dont like about inserts is that you cant see whats going on with 50% of the stove unless the surround is removed.I will remove the surround once in a while just to to a look that all is ok behind it.

stanleyjohn said:
Would something like this work? If senser cable is long enough!
http://www.dasdistribution.com/products/temperature_meters/#TM-924

I would suggest getting that thermometer. However, I see that the thermocouples are K-type sensor. I would suggest getting the ones that have the peel and stick adhesive backs, then can handle high temp ranges. The nice part about it is because its a dual channel meter you can place one behind the insert and the other on top of the stove. Allso because it has a data logger, you can do a temperature profile by pluggin in the meter to a pc via usb cable. Allso look at omega engineering they have a wide selection of metered products

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.