Installing an Insert in Log Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharp looking set up.

Cheers for the good comments, makes it all worth while in the end especially as its coming from people in the know.

We are not far off lighting this baby as the evening temperatures here now are on the slipper slope to winter, it does get colder fast from Sept on.

As soon as the beast is burning I'll post some pics.

B

PS: Its Sept tomorrow so its "chop as much wood as you can in one day" Monday next week. Basically, every Monday in September, for €7.50, the mayor gives you a licence to go in the forest and chop as much wood as you need for the winter. Before anyone goes screaming about devastating forests willy nilly. You go up to the forest and the forest ranger points you in your allocated pitch and gives you the ground rules....So it is kinda managed.

Cheap wood, new fire......actually looking forward to this winter :eek:)

There she blows ! It got cold one night so we fired her up.

Attachments

• DSCF4489.JPG
    DSCF4489.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 225
Chaps

Back again with another quite pressing question.

Had the fire going this morning as the morning chills are getting colder. I noticed as the fire heated up there was a smell of something burning/overheating. The stove pipe that was fitted from the insert to the chimney is actually what looks like flexible flue liner, and not of a high grade, and certainly not solid stove pipe as I know of it (what little I know). Parts of it were actually going purple/blue with the heat, and I think it was this that was giving off the overheating/burning smell.

What would be the best thing to replace this with ?

Thanks

B

This could be construction dust that is finally getting hot enough to burn off. How hot have you been running the stove? Has it had an all day fire in it yet?

The only suspect thing I saw in the original construction picture was what appeared to be yellow, fiberglass, foil-backed insulation. That would not fly for me. Is this insulation + foil in contact with the pipe? If so, I would pull that a few inches away from the pipe. Ceramic or mineral wool insulation is ok for these temps, but not fiberglass and I would expect certainly not the glue that bonds the foil backing to the fiberglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.