Installing double wall stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpg9999

Jan 8, 2016
VA
I'm trying to install a vermont casting wood stove. I had a triple wall ceiling kit installed as my house was being built, as seen below:

20160814_192817.jpg

The fireplace store I purchased the stove from sold me Duravent double wall stove pipe: http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=11

20160729_115335.jpg 20160729_115326.jpg

1. Does this just slide into the piece on the ceiling? Because of the lip on the double wall pipe, the crimped portion on the ceiling kit doesn't really fit snuggly inside the double wall stove pipe.

2. In the bottom picture, is the stovepipe installed properly on the stove, or do I need some kind of adapter?

3. I have a telescoping duravent stove pipe piece. Does the telescoping portion get secured with a fastener? I ask because if so, the screw would penetrate the exterior wall of the pipe that it's slide onto.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what brand chimney pipe was installed? The double-wall stove pipe must match the brand of the chimney. Not sure but that doesn't look like DuraVent in the ceiling. Wondering if it is Selkirk pipe?

That adapter is designed to mate with the DuraTech ceiling support box. This does not look like a DuraTech support box. Time to go in the attic and determine what brand chimney pipe was installed.

Your double wall stove pipe does not need be the same brand as the chimney. What you have will work fine.
Once assembled, the upper portion of the stove pipe will get secured with screws to the ceiling box adaptor. Pre-drill and use stainless steel self drilling screws. The screws will go through the both layers of stove pipe and through the adaptor, 1" should do.

The stove top adaptor almost always fits poorly. Most do, not just duravent. Often times the female end of the double wall fits the flue collar better than the adaptor.

The screws that come with the slip will not penatrate both walls of the pipe, just the outer.

If there is a problem exactly who warrants the pipe? How many insurance companies would be ok with mixing manufacturer pipes?

If there is a problem exactly who warrants the pipe? How many insurance companies would be ok with mixing manufacturer pipes?
You cannot mix brands of chimney pipe, you are correct. However connector pipe is a different story. Very few stoves have stove pipe that is made by the same company that makes their chimney. As long as it's installed properly the insurance company won't know or care.

Reactions: bholler
My main concern would be getting a good, seal at the support box that is also serviceable.

It will still have a slip section of pipe. There's no reason to take it loose at the ceiling box.

Status
Not open for further replies.