Q&A Installing fireplace insert into existing heat form (Heatila

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I purchased a used fireplace insert in good condition (Earth Stove, wood burning). My present fireplace has a metal heat form in it but no fans so is rather worthless for heating. Some clerks at local store have told me I need to add stovepipe up the chimney? There's a damper, plus the heat form's warm air vent pipes to get thru. They said I'd have to cut those out. That would pretty well demolish the heat form. Why can't I seal off the heat form with glass wool bat under shroud and next to the insert?

Answer:

I've run into some of these heat forms with welded pipes that cut across the damper area. These make it nearly impossible to place the normal 5 foot piece of flexible piping up through the damper. In these cases, I have installed a sheet metal block-off plate below the tubes and simply run the pipe from the stove an inch or two through this plate. The jobs I have done this way are working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.