Installing Freestanding Pellet Stove with Existing Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
So I'm converting my free standing fireplace to a free standing pellet stove. Currently, the fireplace has what I think is a Class A chimney. From what my dealer told me, I can use 3" pipe from the pellet stove to the ceiling, and then use an adapter, and continue to run the 3" pipe through the existing class A chimney. Do I really need to do that? Or once I hit the ceiling and use the adapter, can I use the existing chimney and not have to run more pipe all the way through? Seems a bit odd to have to run pipe through the existing pipe. I'm attaching the St. Croix install file. My scenario is on the right hand side. I don't see any other pipe running all the way out the roof after using a PL Vent adapter at the ceiling. Above that, the chimney seems to stay the same.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• St_Croix_-_Hastings_-_Installation_Manual_Page_11.jpg
    St_Croix_-_Hastings_-_Installation_Manual_Page_11.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 373
Status
Not open for further replies.