Installing Harman Invincible-Chimney advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harman Lover 007

Minister of Fire
Hey guys,

I'm just beginning the process of installing my old Harman Invincible RS in my Maine cottage. I'm making about a 12' vertical run and installing a new chimney through a 12/12 pitch roof. (cleanout tee and straight shot up, no bends) What say those of you so well versed in EVL and all that? Can I run a 3" chimney or should I be considering 4"? Is there a minimum or recommended verticle rise above the roof line I should be considering? Many of the online chimney building tools show just 1' above the roof line.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Clearance from outlet to combustibles is 12" in most cases. So 1 ft above roof-line should be fine. (1 ft of pipe + the term cap). The higher up the safer I would feel. 12/12 pitch, means you will have 1 ft clearance to the side of roof-line also. Going up a little more wouldn't hurt.

As far as 3" to 4". A clean out T is EVL of 5', then 12 ft Vert flue is EVL of 6'. For a Grand total of 11' EVL. Most manufacturers recommend 4" flue for EVL's over 15. You are within spec, so 3" would work. Using 4" may provide more natural draft. But 3" will get the job done.

I would run that pipe 24" from the high side. I would also use 4" pipe because it looks better, and I would order up one 4PVP-36SS (stainless) for a completely stainless and seamless look outside. I would consider black inside; usually paint my galvume pipe with stove bright satin black. You can order black pipe but it seems to always come scratched...you cannot touch up the factory finish, so I paint them. If they get scratched in the install I can touch them up.

Does your RS have a 3" or 4" snout off the stove? I've really been into the 3-4" adapter T...part #4PVP-3ADX; it is 4" pipe with a 3" take off stove adapter. Use the longest pipes you can. You can use and adjustable 4PVP12A (12" adjustable 3-10") length over the 4PVP12 and keep your screwed seem behind the unit.

Ah...I am assuming that you are using Duravent Pellet Pipe but other companies make similar lengths.

smwilliamson said:
I would run that pipe 24" from the high side. I would also use 4" pipe because it looks better, and I would order up one 4PVP-36SS (stainless) for a completely stainless and seamless look outside. I would consider black inside; usually paint my galvume pipe with stove bright satin black. You can order black pipe but it seems to always come scratched...you cannot touch up the factory finish, so I paint them. If they get scratched in the install I can touch them up.

Does your RS have a 3" or 4" snout off the stove? I've really been into the 3-4" adapter T...part #4PVP-3ADX; it is 4" pipe with a 3" take off stove adapter. Use the longest pipes you can. You can use and adjustable 4PVP12A (12" adjustable 3-10") length over the 4PVP12 and keep your screwed seem behind the unit.

Ah...I am assuming that you are using Duravent Pellet Pipe but other companies make similar lengths.

Scott,

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. Yes, the plan was to get the pipe and paint it black and yes the plan was to get Dura Vent unless someone here has a better idea. There is a pretty good bump up in cost 3" vs 4" but if I'm going to be staring at it, the 4" will probably look better. I had heard about the adjustable fitting, sounds like a no brainer. The stove is 3" outlet. Thanks again.

Dave

DexterDay said:
Clearance from outlet to combustibles is 12" in most cases. So 1 ft above roof-line should be fine. (1 ft of pipe + the term cap). The higher up the safer I would feel. 12/12 pitch, means you will have 1 ft clearance to the side of roof-line also. Going up a little more wouldn't hurt.

As far as 3" to 4". A clean out T is EVL of 5', then 12 ft Vert flue is EVL of 6'. For a Grand total of 11' EVL. Most manufacturers recommend 4" flue for EVL's over 15. You are within spec, so 3" would work. Using 4" may provide more natural draft. But 3" will get the job done.

DD,

Thanks, thats just the info I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.