Installing liner into repaired lined flue. Code compliance question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Hi everyone,
I am considering installing an insert in my walk out basement that has a masonry fireplace. The clay flue tiles were damaged at some point (right at the level where the upstairs fireplace Is with an F400 installed and vented out it’s own flue via insulated liner ). a liner was installed to the downstairs fireplace running the whole length of the clay tile liner. The pictures taken from inside the upstairs fireplace show the cracked tile, some mortar and what appears to be fiberglass insulation where some of the mortar has fallen away.

my question is, if I install an insulated liner inside the existing 10” liner would this meet code as it relates to the damaged tile and existing 10” liner based on what I have shown here.

Thanks you. I am Happy to provide more information I just didn’t want my first post to go on forever.
Evan

first image show the damaged tile liner.

Second shows the damaged tile liner in relation to the upstairs fireplace and stove. The little grey triangle above the firebrick is the mortar on the side of the damaged tile liner.

third and forth shots are up through the damper of the downstairs fireplace. All pictures should be portrait oriented and my need to rotated 90 degrees clockwise ( from how they are showing up on my phone now. )

E6990F48-7CB0-4789-B746-5CCFBF988A20.jpeg
A42325AE-CBEE-47B6-B0C7-7F6130F1274E.jpeg
D0B20038-6D71-4F49-B758-D12B70103ED4.jpeg
2E0D6A2E-6C28-405E-8E4F-398AF841EE61.jpeg

Yes a properly installed and insulated liner will meet code requirements