Installing new pipe inside old

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope

Hearth Supporter
Sep 29, 2009
Alaska
I have an old free standing wood stove that has an eight inch pipe. The integrity of the eight inch pipe is questionable due to a chimney fire. I am replacing the old stove with a new free standing wood stove that has six inch pipe. Can I "slide" the six inch pipe down through the eight inch pipe or does all of the old eight inch pipe need to be removed?

Are we talking class A, exterior pipe? If so, the answer is no, 6" class A won't fit inside of 8" class A. Best to do the system over correctly for good performance and long term peace of mind.

Thanks BeGreeen. It is from Excel Chimneys, and yes I believe it is class A. The wood stove company quoted us a much cheaper price than the competitor and said we wouldn't have to take out the old pipe - just put in the new pipe inside the existing. If it fits - what is the harm? It would just be even more insulated, right? Thanks for the help.

Do they want to run a rigid stainless liner up the pipe? Seems unkosher, but will it work? Probably. Will the liner rot out faster due to corrosion and contact with the class A 8" pipe? Seems possible. Best to keep asking of a wett certified sweep.

I have seen liners spec'd for install in class A oil flues that when insuated make for a code compliant solid fuel flue, but the chimney fire would affect that certification. As well, the instructions for the liner would need to discuss the class A install in order for the install to be permitted. If it wasn't tested in that config, it won't be considered as meeting code. A bit of a truism, but some don't understand that having one manufacturer doing a given install does not permit similar products from other companies to do the same. Everyone needs thier installation techniques to be validated thru the testing processes.

Thanks for the help. From the liner manufacturer to mechanical inspectors with the Municipality to fire inspectors I have gotten a 50%/50% yes/no result from the question. I think I will play it safe, spend the extra $1000 and have the old 8" tore out and the new 6" installed.

I have an old 8" triple wall (air insulated) that two different installers said they would be able to put 6" class A inside of, and an inspector (WETT) that said he'd certify it. Both installers say they've checked with the manufacturer and one installer says they've done this many times before. I think I'll probably end up going this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.