Installing Resolute Aclaim (partially) inside fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiteWait

Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2008
CT
Removed the Quadrafire insert since the blower was too loud for my wife.

I've got a used Vermont Castings Resolute Aclaim my wife wants me to install in the (partially) inside the fireplace. I can run a 45 degree elbow and pipe into the flue and seal it off with a register plate.

We want to push it back into the fireplace to reduce the front clearance requirements and install a heat plate on the mantle above. Our house is only 5 years old so the chimney is in great shape.

Can this be done? Is this a safe solution? I am worried about all the heat being generated with part of the stove being inside the fireplace.

Advice? Thanks!

First thing, inspect the Acclaim innards carefully, especially the condition of the refractory assembly. These degrade fairly quickly with 24/7 burning. Best to start off with it in good shape.

This is a top loading stove. Will that still be possible? Without a blower, the deeper the stove is in the fireplace, the less heat will be felt and circulated into the room.Note that the thermostat action might not be ideal with this setup either.

acclaim.PNG

It can be installed with a proper positive connection that stubs up past the damper opening a few feet as long as it is well sealed at the damper plate, but a full liner is preferable. How was the Quadrafire connected? No liner?

First thing, inspect the Acclaim innards carefully, especially the condition of the refractory assembly. These degrade fairly quickly with 24/7 burning. Best to start off with it in good shape.

This is a top loading stove. Will that still be possible? Without a blower, the deeper the stove is in the fireplace, the less heat will be felt and circulated into the room.Note that the thermostat action might not be ideal with this setup either.

View attachment 72878

It can be installed with a proper positive connection that stubs up past the damper opening a few feet as long as it is well sealed at the damper plate, but a full liner is preferable. How was the Quadrafire connected? No liner?

Pellet stove pipe ran up a few feet into the chimney with a damper plate of course.

Ah, so this was an Quad pellet insert. That would explain the noise concerns. I didn't think the Quad wood inserts were too loud.

Hi -

I did this with this stove. However I wanted to see more stove. I ended up adding an 18" extension over the hardwood floor from the front of the hearth. I just put down a layer of HardiBacker, then 12"X12" marble in an argyle pattern, across the front of the hearth. I made the transition ot the hardwood with 3/4" oak Shoe molding. I get a lot more heat out of it now. There are about 3-4" sticking into the fireplace opening. It does 80-95% of the heating at my place.

Enjoy,
Mike

Hi -

I did this with this stove. However I wanted to see more stove. I ended up adding an 18" extension over the hardwood floor from the front of the hearth. I just put down a layer of HardiBacker, then 12"X12" marble in an argyle pattern, across the front of the hearth. I made the transition ot the hardwood with 3/4" oak Shoe molding. I get a lot more heat out of it now. There are about 3-4" sticking into the fireplace opening. It does 80-95% of the heating at my place.

Enjoy,
Mike

Mike,
What clearances did you have to the bottom of the mantle and in front of the stove? Did you install with top flue or back flue?

I will have 6" in in front of the stove when installed and 16" above the stove to the mantle trim (I plan on installing a heat shield). Is this workable or am I playing with fire???
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.