Installing stove myself...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rochev

Dec 2, 2021
Maine
I have a 2019 Englander pellet stove I got for a steal.
My only local stove installer is a nightmare to get ahold of and almost impossible to get anything scheduled. He will charge me $800+. Last year I had my other stove installed at the end of November because it took so long to get ahold of him.

Below is a photo of what I believe I need to install it myself. I also have heat tape, sealant, heat proof insulation etc. Not pictured is the elbow to keep the smoke going upward.

Can I just cut a hole in the wall, install the piping, seal it up and be good to go? Or am I better off having it (maybe) done by a professional company? Am I missing something more complicated?

Screenshot_20230929-191905.png

Looks like you have a good handle on what to do
Just make sure of clearances from overhangs, doors
and widows . If you have any problems lots of people
will help here

Reactions: Rochev
Just keep in mind that now is the time to figure out if you want to run an Outside Air Kit so you can plan for the proper wall thimble and cut. Regardless of whether you do an OAK or not, t is pretty straight forward if you follow all the clearances required by the stove and pipe manufacturers.

Just keep in mind that now is the time to figure out if you want to run an Outside Air Kit so you can plan for the proper wall thimble and cut. Regardless of whether you do an OAK or not, t is pretty straight forward if you follow all the clearances required by the stove and pipe manufacturers.
I would like to have an OAK put in my existing stove but I didn't know the thimble would need to be specific. I already got the kit to put it in.

Well, you can put in the OAK completely separate (my P61a is separate since the installers didn't put one in to begin with). But it is much easier with a thimble that has it included (also pricier)

This is essentially what I got when I installed my P43.

Looks like your on the rite track... I called my inspector several times when i installed mine to make sure i was doing things proper and he was more than happy to answer my questions so when he cam in it passed no problem. I installed my OAK separate but wish i had gotten it as part of the thimble. Make sure you know where your electrical is i just missed mine as i thought it was running down from the ceiling and forgot it runs across for plugs on the same circuit.

Reactions: bogieb
Well, you can put in the OAK completely separate (my P61a is separate since the installers didn't put one in to begin with). But it is much easier with a thimble that has it included (also pricier)

This is essentially what I got when I installed my P43.
It's pretty easy to install a pellet stove. If you don't have the manufacturer's installation or owners manual, get a copy or download one. Follow their installation instructions. Pretty much everything you need to know is spelled out.

I wish I knew about the thimble that included it! Right now I'm using a vacuum hose out a window to see how it goes. I'll probably install one regardless of if I see a difference or not.