Installing stovepipe for new stove, cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Inferno

Nov 28, 2014
Michigan
Hello all,
I have visiting this forum for 2 months now and have learned a ton from all of you; what a fantastic resource!!

We finally have made the decision to upgrade our old All-Nighter stove to a Pacific Energy Super 27 and will be installing it ourselves next week. My question is how to clean the chimney. Our existing stovepipe has an elbow so we pull it our of the back of the stove and run the brush down from the roof. The new stovepipe won't have an elbow. How do we clean the chimney? Now that we think about it, we may have to put in elbows; don't know how to put in new, straight, stovepipe to an existing chimney. Stovepipe has male and female type ends that nest into each other and there isn't a way that I can see that we can do that with straight pipe.

Hope my questions make sense, would love any advice at all.

Welcome. Good choice of stove. It is easy to clean. You have a couple options. One would be to make the last section of pipe, telescoping. That will allow you to lift up the pipe when cleaning and put a bag around the bottom. The other option is to pull the baffle on the stove. It removes with just one pin, then lifts up and out. You put a rag in the secondary air tube in the stove that inserts into the baffle, then clean. The sote will drop right into the firebox. When replacing the baffle the gasket around the tube gets replaced so have some extras on hand or make your own out of some 3/8" gasket material.

If your wood is dry and well seasoned you should find that you are having to clean the chimney less frequently. Note that the male end of the stove pipe points down, toward the stove.

Thanks for the response begreen. We had no idea telescoping pipe existed. We found a source and are going to pick some up tomorrow in anticipation of getting and putting in the stove next week. I'm very excited about getting a new stove and glad to hear that you like our choice. Thanks to all who post and answer here, very informative site!

Status
Not open for further replies.