Q&A Installing used chimney through wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi Craig- I just have one more question to ask you. Over the weekend I bought a wall thimble. Now I have a 6" black pipe going into an 8" black pipe that comes from the stove- on the end of the 8" pipe there is a 4" black extension piece. Does this piece run through the thimble into the insulated tee which will be mounted to the outside of the house. The 8" wall thimble came with no instructions. Or does the piece that runs through the wall have to be insulated which would only be around 6". Incidentally- there was a fellow down the road from me who sold me 6 foot of insulated stainless pipe with the deluxe rain cap- the elbow with the clean out cap and all the black pipe for $120. I'm planning on installing the whole thing this coming weekend and want to make sure I have everything needed so I don't wind up with a big hole in the side of the house. Thanks for your help'

Answer:

Bill- if you are using insulated chimney- you must use the same brand and the correct fittings all the way from the stove- through the wall- to the tee and up the side of the house. You cannot mix and match or use a generic wall thimble. In other words- it sounds like you need more parts and an instruction manual for this brand of chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.