installing whitfield pellet stove using our current fireplace and chimney (heatilater???) PICS INCL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joedirt

Dec 9, 2009
gresham, oregon
ive looked down the backside of our chiney through an acsess door(not sure what its there for?? cleanout??)...dosent appear to be room to snake a 3" flex pipe in there?...do i have a heatilater that needs to be profesionally removed???...

i plan to pull out the wood stove insert,..then build a sheet metal cover for the fireplace and put my pellet stove in front and vent up the chimney....is it even possible with our current fireplace settup??...

also i didnt see any sort of stove pipe for the exsisting wood stove insert in there...looks like its stuffed in there then just goes right up the chimney...

here are a few pics i just snapped of our settup...hopefully someone here can help edentify our chimney and what to do with it...

thanks!!!

Attachments

• DSCN0761.jpg
    DSCN0761.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 532
  • DSCN0762.jpg
    DSCN0762.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 546
  • DSCN0763.jpg
    DSCN0763.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN0765.jpg
    DSCN0765.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCN0768.jpg
    DSCN0768.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 546
  • DSCN0770.jpg
    DSCN0770.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 510
this is what ill be replacing the woodstove insert with...

tag says its an 1988 wh-1183...

Attachments

• DSCN0771.jpg
    DSCN0771.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 579
  • DSCN0772.jpg
    DSCN0772.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 495
those pictures are taken from the backside of the chimney pointing downwards inside the accsess hole...

hmm, you may just have to take out 1 of those air tubes to get a liner in there. The exhaust flange on the whitfield is offset a bit so you may be able to take out a tube on the right and get a straight shot up the rest of the chimney.good luck. I love them old whitfields.

i think i can get at that tube with a sawzall...but do i need to try and weld caps in the exposing holes that are left?.....also ive read where people have installed block off plates..ive searched but cant find any pics on these...im still not sure how to do that...also it dosent apear to have a dampner in there...either that or i just dont see one??...i havnt pulled out the wood stove insert yet,...hopefully one i do that it will be easier to make sense of this...

Yeah I would try to pull the stove out first, I think that the stove and the air circulater are separate units. I am thinking you may have to knock some bricks out to pull out the unit out whole. But if the stove has a exhaust vent you should be able to snake a flex through with no problems after removel.

I have installed over 100 pellet stoves in heatolator fireplaces
3" flex will pass through them sometimes you have to go the the far left or right.
Most of the time you will need to cut the damper to be able to clean behind it and to get it to open enough to clear the pipe.

if you have over a 20 foot run
I would run 5 feet of 3 inch flex then put a 3" Pellet vent slip over it to adapt to rigid pellet vent then a 3-4 increaser and then run 4" pellet vent the rest of the way up.
this is how I did most of the pellet inserts we installed.

it looks to narrow...on the sides there is a piece of metal that looks like its supposed to divert the smoke twords the middle....im thinking a scissor jack in between two of the tubes will give me enough clearance for some 3" flex...

whats the outside diameter of the 3" flex?..

Status
Not open for further replies.